Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting a bari. SWMBO says I can get one if I promise to keep my '06 Corolla for a few more years. I barely drive the thing, so SOLD! So obviously if I'm giving up a new car I'm going to consider higher end horns. My top picks are Yamaha 62, Yanagisawa WO1 or WO2, and Rampone & Cazzani.
However, if I can get a good, well-built horn and still save a few $$$ why not at least know my options? Maybe then I could get a new car sooner. Or a sopranino.

I've been intrigued by the Sax Dakota bari models for a while, especially the SDB-XR 62. And while I can find a few posts on here about the smaller SD horns, I can't find anything on the baris. Should I take that as a sign to just keep looking, or are they sleeper horns? Anyone? They look like nice horns, but I suppose looks can be deceiving. Also, the price isn't too far off the Yanis, which seems to be common with some of the better Taiwanese horns.

Unfortunately I probably won't be able to try the exact horn I buy before purchase. I'm in a bit of a desert. With a 2+ hour drive I could probably try some of the horns I listed above side-by-side, including the SDs, but I'd still most likely end up buying online based on price, financing, warranty, and reputation of the dealer (e.g. ProWinds, Matthew's Music, etc.)

So, does anyone have experience with the Sax Dakota baris?

Thanks in advance!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,518 Posts
if I were looking at a bari I would certainly either go the expensive reliable and value keeping way (Yanagisawa or Yamaha ) and I would certainly go for 2ndhand sure that the horn will be holding its value and at the same time would perform.
If I were to buy a cheaper option then I would go for a 2nd hand Chinese option.

You were considering Brasscane horn and you should have bought it, but anyway that would be the perfect horn in this scenario.

Frankly speaking at the price level that Dakotas are

http://www.saxdakota.com/baritone-saxophones/

You would be better served by a Yanagisawa or Yamaha. Occasionaly people sell Jupiters very cheap and they can be killers.

Especially the Artist series are well made and incredibly playing.

https://www.accentmusic.com/Jupiter-893SG-Artist-Baritone-Saxophone-p/77694.htm

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You were considering Brasscane horn and you should have bought it, but anyway that would be the perfect horn in this scenario.

Frankly speaking at the price level that Dakotas are

http://www.saxdakota.com/baritone-saxophones/

You would be better served by a Yanagisawa or Yamaha. Occasionaly people sell Jupiters very cheap and they can be killers.

Especially the Artist series are well made and incredibly playing.
I'm leaning more toward Yamaha/Yani. ProWinds has the Dakota XR-62 for $5225, which seems a little high, but it's the cheapest I've seen them, and it's in line with Mauriat baris, which I admittedly think are overpriced, too. However, Matthew's has the Yani WO1 for about $140 more (and very reasonable shipping!) so that would probably be the better route anyway.

I still might hit up brasscane for the Bauhaus if I can scrape together cold, hard cash, but I do like the prospect of a high-end horn. I'm more than happy with my Yamahas, and have no plans to replace them.

I'll admit, the Jupiter Artist series was my first non-Big 4 horn crush. People still seem to like them, but they don't seem to be as widely available as they used to be.

While I admit to spending too much time on Ebay, Reverb, and the Marketplace, I'm super wary of buying a used bari from Ebay or Reverb. Brasscane has a good reputation here so I'm less concerned there, but Ebay is the Wild West, and I still haven't purchased anything from Reverb yet so I don't know how trustworthy it is. I'd probably throw caution to the wind if a used R&C came up, but the brand as a whole doesn't come up used very often.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,518 Posts
I would’t look any further than the Yanagisawa and Matthew’s is one of the most competitive shops in the world especially on Yanagisawas.

Jupiter artist are great but not for reselling because (don’t understand why, people don’t like the brand, even if they have never played them!). Those are found in Germany very easily (Matthews can help you probably).
R&C are not usually found much and baritones have a sketchy record (look up the threads here).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,260 Posts
I have owned and played a Yamaha 62 Bari for over 25 years now. I have had it so long that I had to have it re-padded.

I can honestly say that I would not trade this sax for any bari out there. The 62 is a great bari. Ergonomically, they cannot be beat. My repairman loves the ease that these horns can be adjusted, repaired, and maintained.

My 62 plays better than ever today. I did have silver tone boosters ad kangaroo skin pads put on when I re-padded it. That was the best investment I have ever made.

If something were to happen to this horn and it could not be repaired, I would look for another 62. I have thought about getting a 61 as a back-up, but these baris are hard to find.

If you can afford the 62, get it. If you can find an older model, get it. I really do not have anything negative to say about this model. They are well worth the price.

For one last word on the 62, I believe Doc Kupka with Tower of Power plays one. These are great baritone saxes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree with everyone that at list price, the Dakota is not going to be as good a deal as a Yamaha or Yanagisawa second hand. That said, if you contact Dakota directly, they can usually set up a play test for you at a local dealer, and probably give you a deal if you decide to buy it. I did that once to try an alto, and aside from some aggressive marketing speak it was a painless and fun process (I ended up buying a different horn down the line, but it was fun to try and it was well built).

That said, none of the Taiwanese horns (except P. Mauriat maybe) are going to hold their value as much as a Yamaha or Yanagisawa will, so if you don't know if you're going to play bari for the long haul, it'd probably be better to get something that's easier to re-sell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts