Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow sax players! I am considering moving to the Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Durham, NC area, but so far a cursory examination of the entertainment sections of the weekly newspaper lists a lot of rock, bluegrass, blues and cover bands. Can anyone tell me more about the music scene? Where can I listen to great jazz, and find an audience for original horn driven music (funk, r&b, salsa, reggae and Caribbean styles), and are there any working reading bands I could work my way into?

Also, I've been to half a dozen music shops that have walls of guitars and drums, but only sad little gloomy corners with a dusty Bundy II and a couple boxes of orange box Rico #2 reeds from 1975 on the wall.

Do horn players live and make a living in this area, or do they just pass through on the way elsewhere?

Is there anywhere to check out vintage saxes nearby?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
323 Posts
+1 for Marsh Woodwinds. Not only do they sell/buy/repair vintage horns, there is a performance space upstairs. Also, they can give you the lowdown on what's happening in the area.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Raleigh, Chapel Hill, and Durham are quite different. Each has it's options for music, but it's certainly not NYC! It's NC. :)

That said, we are very fortunate to have a few gems here in the area...Maceo Parker is known to find his way into Marsh Woodwinds on occasion, Branford Marsalis - Durham, one of the best tech's in the biz (Matt Stohrer) is here, Music Medic, and GetASax, all here in sleepy NC! I have a friend that gigs in the Raleigh/Cary area with his jazz trio nearly as much as he can handle (twice a week) considering he has a "regular" job in technology. One of his regular venues is a club called C.Grace in Raleigh that features live music. Carrboro is a quirky little town that has some stuff going on as does Greensboro, which is about an hour away.

So it's not bad, musically, you just have to look around a bit. As for general quality of life, it's fantastic here. I'd find it VERY difficult to leave here. Anyways, Welcome to the neighborhood.

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,347 Posts
I'm here in Durham: www.StohrerMusic.com
So is GetASax: www.GetASax.com (probably one of the finest collections of vintage saxophones for sale anywhere)

Marsh Woodwinds is over in Raleigh: http://www.marshwoodwinds.com/

I know more than a few local full-time professional saxophonists. If you can double/triple/quadruple, you can stay as busy as you are good. Its not NYC, but your dollars will go very far in comparison.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm here in Durham: www.StohrerMusic.com
So is GetASax: www.GetASax.com (probably one of the finest collections of vintage saxophones for sale anywhere)

Marsh Woodwinds is over in Raleigh: http://www.marshwoodwinds.com/

I know more than a few local full-time professional saxophonists. If you can double/triple/quadruple, you can stay as busy as you are good. Its not NYC, but your dollars will go very far in comparison.
Awesome! Thanks again! This is all great info. I will keep looking around to find a niche. I have about a year before moving, so there is some time!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts