Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did one of these a long time ago, around 1991 or so, and it was a lot of fun. There were at least 100 of us, though I don't remember the exact number. We had one rehearsal in a high school band room, then caravanned over to Knott's Berry Farm to play. We were welcome to stay and enjoy the park afterward, but most people did not want to leave horns in their cars and went home instead.

When I search for events like this, all I get is one in San Jose that looks like very much the same idea -- but that's not a practical distance for me. Is there something going on down here any more? I can contribute arrangements of 20+ tunes if need be, some traditional and some modern, and some swing versions of traditional tunes. It would also be nice if there was more than one performance venue, either on the same day or spread out over a weekend. I do have a good idea where we could rehearse (Studio E at "Uncle Studios" would fit a lot of people), but no particular performance venues in mind.

If this ISN'T going on, does anyone have interest in reviving it on a smaller basis and seeing what happens? The charts I've written will work with as little as a quartet, or in some cases a trio, but with a group that small I think it might make more sense to just journey to nursing homes and the like rather than trying to invade an amusement park. People who would like to participate but are not in a position to organize are also welcome to respond, as it would be nice to gauge the level of interest.

It may seem early but these things can take a while to organize, which is why I'm asking the question now.

·
4,160 Posts
I'm trying to organize one in NC as well, but haven't had much luck finding charts... The whole, in college with little monetary funds to purchase, and then the lack of time to arrange.

·
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It may seem early but these things can take a while to organize, which is why I'm asking the question now.
Anyone with a site in the area (particularly in the Valley) that would welcome such a show, please let me know. Just bear in mind that I have NO IDEA how many people I can herd together. It could be as few as four and work just fine musically. This might not work so well if someone booked us a band shell though.

Another option would be to open it up to more than just saxophones -- maybe all woodwinds -- but that would kinda set a bad precedent for future sax-only attempts. Mind you, I don't plan to argue if someone shows up with a Tubax or even a sarrusophone or rothphone, I just need to know what part to give them.

·
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone with a site in the area (particularly in the Valley) that would welcome such a show, please let me know. Just bear in mind that I have NO IDEA how many people I can herd together. It could be as few as four and work just fine musically. This might not work so well if someone booked us a band shell though.
Bump. I can't believe that there are ZERO people with an interest in doing this in such a large area. This is not going to be a large time commitment, we're talking one rehearsal and a performance the same day. As long as I can get two people (and they don't play the same instrument exclusively), we can make this work. I'll play any of the three parts as necessary.

I've recorded a few of the songs in the book:
http://mal-2.com/xmas.html

·
1,310 Posts
I am surprised also - it would be a bit of a drive for myself - but I would consider it in any case...

The events on the West Coast sound like a gas - but I like my larger horns & that gives me many many reasons not to fly..

·
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am surprised also - it would be a bit of a drive for myself - but I would consider it in any case...

The events on the West Coast sound like a gas - but I like my larger horns & that gives me many many reasons not to fly..
I would be willing to lend horns to stranded travelers, but bring mouthpieces at least! I have a soprano, two altos (three if you count the one out on loan), two C-mels (soon to be three again), a tenor and a bari. The music is pretty easy overall and does not really push range boundaries, so C-mel can cover for tenor (and frequently for alto) quite adequately. While the NECESSARY horns are alto-tenor-bari, I do have parts for soprano and bass that are at least somewhat different. The C-mel parts are always doubling someone.

Also, if there is enough interest, I'll restore the original quartet format for those tunes that benefit from it.

I know there are neighborhoods in this area that are known for their displays, and they typically won't mind having a roving band -- but they won't let us pass the hat. If we accept that this is for fun all around and that we'll be out gas money and Denny's afterward, then there should be no issues.

I know there are large displays covering multiple blocks in Chino and Pasadena. I would prefer to visit a site where we can walk the neighborhood, playing two or three tunes at a stop. It does get cold (light gloves are a good idea) but many homeowners will be watching the crowds pass while circling portable stoves. They are almost always willing to let visitors warm up, especially in exchange for a show.

If there are enough of us, we could start at opposite ends and meet in the middle or something like that.

The music is already done. I have enough A-T-B books for three trios to play off full-size pages and one music stand, and I have ten more lyre-size books. Any "odd horns" (sop, C-mel, and bass) would be playing out of a second supplemental book.

·
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Due to a deafening silence on this topic, there will be no L.A. sax trio this Christmas. Several people have downloaded the book, and hopefully some of them are actually using it, but I have no participation in any of their groups aside from providing music. I was hoping to get some recordings of those groups, but so far nobody has provided any.

I have added three more tunes to the website, and may do one more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts