Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever bumped your horn and felt something is different - like your not getting as quick a response or as full a tone?

Then you have your friends play it and they say your horn sounds great and there is nothing wrong with it and that you are crazy?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes, I knocked my BA into a stand a week after I got it. I was convinced I threw something out, but I had my teacher and two friends I trusted all try it and it played perfectly. I guess it was just all in my head.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I would suggest that you are more familiar with how your instrument responds than other players, even if they are better players. Just in case the bump caused something to move, I would have it checked by a tech to make sure it has no leaks.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
It takes only a small bump to jerk precision adjustments slightly out.
But a bump can also change the location of a touch piece without affecting how it plays. You would notice the different feel but others would not.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,702 Posts
Have you ever bumped your horn and felt something is different - like your not getting as quick a response or as full a tone?

Then you have your friends play it and they say your horn sounds great and there is nothing wrong with it and that you are crazy?
Your the only one that played it before, your friends are just comparing it to what they have.

If it plays different for you after taking a bump or impact, then something is wrong and you should have it looked at.

Steve

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,268 Posts
Some leaks are almost impossible to locate....I bumped mine - the F palm key leaked sometimes and sometimes not. The third time I put a leak light in it, I found it. It was barely visible in a totally dark room...but only visible sometimes. It nearly drove me crazy, but I knew something was a bit off. I just found it moments ago - and just minutes before I was go.ing to case it and move to a backup horn. I feel your pin!

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
When I saw the title of this thread, my first thought was that there was some new product to reduce key noise or prevent sticky pads.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,432 Posts
I would suggest that you are more familiar with how your instrument responds than other players, even if they are better players. Just in case the bump caused something to move, I would have it checked by a tech to make sure it has no leaks.
I agree, the player can feel small things that is the difference to you with “ before “ and “ after” but you can also (since you caused the bump or it happened to you) THINK that there has to be something.

The only way to deal with this is to make sure that nothing visible is going on. A thech would carry out a thorough inspection (describe what happened).

If there is nothing that can be found you can at least be sure that what you “ feel” is not pernicious.

Good Luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts