Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love to play the good gospel oldies with my father in law--Buford Dowell. I play the tennor and he has played the B3 for a living starting out with AA ALAN. I think the two instruments will always have a place in the church that is with a good drummer laying a true line.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I think the B3 is the sweetest sounding instrument ever made and has a place anywhere it wants to play.

Well, not just the B3 but almost any Hammmond.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
grevsax24 said:
There is nothing better than a quartet with sax, organ, drums, and a guitar.
Do you have Bryan's CD with Bobby floyd, reggie jackson, and derek? If not, you need to get it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
One of my favorites is the James Taylor Quartet from the UK (particularly their album "Message From the Godfather"). I'd highly recommend checking them out if anybody gets a chance.

Another good source of Hammond/Sax music is Robert Walter's 20th Congress and his other project "Super Heavy Organ". Pretty cool stuff.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I LOVE the sound of a Hammond B3. Some of my favorite recordings: Jimmy Smith "Back at the Chicken Shack", Stanley Turrentine "Let it Go" (Shirley Scott was highly underrated)

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Check out "Preachin'" by Gene Ammons with Clarence Anderson on B3. He plays classic gospel such as "Sweet Hour" and "Blessed Assurance"....great stuff!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I liked both instruments so much that I play both :)..

You can hear my organ playing @ www.myspace.com/donzlaty

(Shameless self promotion.... :)

W

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
Some of my fondest memories are of TRAVELLING with a B-3, and two gianormous leslie cabinets. . . .:shock:

·
Registered
784 Posts
trhummer said:
Some of my fondest memories are of TRAVELLING with a B-3, and two gianormous leslie cabinets. . . .:shock:
So obviously you weren't the one who had to carry them to and from the truck.

My Hammond T-211 almost killed me and two family members last time I had to move it.

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
BobbyC said:
So obviously you weren't the one who had to carry them to and from the truck.
Not all by myself. But I helped. A lot.

Maybe the tone of irony didn't come through in my post. Tone, man, it's all about tone.:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts