Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Looking for a sax and cello piece for a recital in June. I'm checking my Londeix book and there are just so many choices! I'm thinking of a piece of around 3 musicians (including me).

I'm already planning on putting the first two movements of the Busch quintet in the program as well.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,215 Posts
Edison Denisov, Duo for Saxophone and Cello
Delannoy Rapsodie -Cello, piano, sax
Dubois, Summer Music-cello, violin, sax (an odd little piece)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,215 Posts
No, but I bet Angel does.
He's quite knowledgeable.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm...checking my Londeix book...the Delannoy "Rhapsodie" seems to require a trumpet player as well.

I can't seem to find the Dubois "Summer Music" either...is it under another name?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,215 Posts
It's R. Dubois, not the more famous one.

I think the Dennisov is a Leduc publication. It's been awhile.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
j44breaker said:
Looking for a sax and cello piece for a recital in June. I'm checking my Londeix book and there are just so many choices! I'm thinking of a piece of around 3 musicians (including me).
Well, howabout this oddity: Bermuda Triangle, by John Harbison, for Tenor Sax, Amplified Cello, and Electric Organ.

Program note by John Harbison:
Bermuda Triangle was named for an area in the Atlantic Ocean famous for strange disappearances and unpredictable weather conditions. The humpback whales swim and sing in this region; their highly structured, seemingly improvised songs are at the root of this piece; an allusion to their sound occurs in a unison passage midway through. The amplified cello and tenor sax originate in different worlds; they meet in the environment created by the electric organ, and are influenced by each other, while retaining contrapuntal independence.

The piece is the final part of December Music, a group of three pieces based on the same ancient cantus-firmus. The final organ statement is a distorted version of this melody, which also forms the basis for the sax and cello lines. Bermuda Triangle was commissioned and first performed by the New York Camerata. It has been recorded, on the CRI label, by Albert Regni, Helen Harbison, and Robert Levin.
The CRI recording, if I recall, uses a Hammond B3 -- but this ain't no jazz piece! You can hear a snippet of it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Harbison-Early-Works-Helen/dp/B00005LPY6

It's a neat piece, if not exactly a catchy ditty. And while it unfortunately probably isn't what you're looking for, you'd be the first kid on your block to have played it!

·
Registered
533 Posts
This piece was arranged for sop sax, bassoon and harp, but I believe it was premiered (& written for?) sop sax, cello and harp.

Might've been for flute, cello and harp, but I believe Richtmyer did the premiere. Can anybody confirm?

Serpent by JA Lennon. Fun, not a killer, and my audience ate it up!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Sax Historian
474 Posts
And don't forget the early Boris Koutzen piece, "Music for saxophone, bassoon and cello" that was published in the 1940s.

Paul Cohen

·
Registered
533 Posts
I should mention that Lennon has published Serpent in a variety of instrumentations. If you don't have a harpist with whom you feel like working, there is a piano version of that part. I'm not sure if it is different in any way from the harp part -- just FYI.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
320 Posts
Also check out Bid Call by Libby Larsen. It's got some pretty rapid tonguing, and a few big awkward passages, but it's a cool piece. It's three movements long and is basically writte about the "language" auctioneers use called bid call.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I always thought the Vivaldi concerto for two cellos would sound greatwith cello+bari. Or two baris, for that matter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts