Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
That’s a long time to go without sax.

I once took a 10 year break. I was back where I left off within a week or two. No special effort other than regular practice. I did work my way up to a 2 hour rehearsal without killing my chops. Just follow what your body tells you.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Not to derail this topic but, is it really a bad habit to play out of the side of the mouth? I've seen some pretty good players (Sonny Rollins, Chad Lefkowitz-Brown) doing that, seemingly on purpose.

And btw I am only asking out of curiousity. I am the kind of obsessive person who wants everything to be even and symmetrical, and I would only ever play off center if you could guarantee me I would sound like Sonny.
Have you ever tried it? It's certainly possible, just not ideal due to the loss of control. I can do it and still sound ok. I imagine it's done only for show most of the time. Roland Kirk did it out of necessity.

A bandmate of mine years ago who was a killer tenor player played out of one side because he had Bell's Palsy. Still sounded amazing, but you could hear the loss of control at times. He didn't really have any choice in the matter.

Play however you want, as long as it sounds the way you want to sound.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts