Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
If you have to ask, then yeah, probably!

I'd proceed with caution even if it does say Yamaha. I almost fell for a fake Yani soprano a couple weeks ago. Well, by 'almost' I mean that I had already made plans to go check it out (about 2 hours away) and had the cash to purchase it, but then I looked at the pics a little closer and decided that it was likely a good fake and not worth the drive to find out for sure. Not sure if the guy selling it knew or not, but I saw later that the price had been drastically reduced and it no longer said Yanagisawa in the ad copy (although it still prominantly featured a pic of where it said it on the horn). Unfortunately I think there will be more and more of these fake horns for sale on Craigs list by people knowingly or unknowingly dumping them on the secondary market.

Of course it might be for real, but if it is, someone has probably already snatched it up by now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,811 Posts
I don’t see why it wouldn’t be the real thing. The price is good but not crazy low which is the common denominator of most scams.

Real Yamaha YSS 475 (which I am assuming this might be) are rather common and so different from anything else out there that it should be rather easy to identify.

If you are there where the seller is, go and take a look.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
people get robbed routinely I'd never go meet a stranger, unless they agreed to meet at local police station
I think that's a bit of an overstatement (to say that people get robbed routinely). I've done hundreds of Craigs list transactions and never once felt unsafe, let alone been robbed. When I'm buying I usually meet at the sellers house, unless they request otherwise. I figure it would be pretty stupid for them to rob me at their own residence. That's not to say that one shouldn't practice due diligence in avoiding unsafe situations. I just can't imagine that there are that many would-be robbers trying to setup victims with the lure of an underpriced soprano sax.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
1958Selmer . . .: I must disagree. Because it hasn't happened to you does not mean much. It happens - and that is enough to offer a word of caution to those doing business on craigslist - or any other buy-sell medium. I recall a SoCal killing were the product was a craigslist cellphone. DAVE

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I too have carried out dozens and dozens of transactions on CL. Sometimes I'm the buyer and I meet the seller at their residence. Sometimes I'm the seller and I have the buyer meet me at my residence. Sometimes we agree to meet in a public place. Saying you have to meet at a local police station or not meet at all is taking things to the extreme, as is saying CL robberies ROUTINELY happen. They do happen, but so do shootings at grocery stores, schools, movie theaters and pretty much everywhere else. Should we stop going to those places as well? As with everything else, a healthy dose of precaution and common sense is needed, but things don't necessarily have to be taken to the extreme.

I'm with Selmer on this one.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I’d ask for some pics with a phone number and today’s date. $900 CDN is about $700 US which is a screaming deal for a 62 (as stated in the listing)

Could be real. Good luck!

And I’ve had quite a few happy transactions as a buyer and seller on CL without incident. I like to have a few conversations prior to meeting and typically meet in a public place.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
people get robbed routinely I'd never go meet a stranger, unless they agreed to meet at local police station
Have you asked the police whether they accept you carrying out your deals at their location?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don’t see why it wouldn’t be the real thing. The price is good but not crazy low which is the common denominator of most scams.

Real Yamaha YSS 475 (which I am assuming this might be) are rather common and so different from anything else out there that it should be rather easy to identify.

If you are there where the seller is, go and take a look.

The add says it's a YSS62.

·
Registered
107 Posts
There's a for sale post right now on SOTW from Canada for a Yamaha soprano YSS62; asking $3000 CA.
Makes the craigslist ad seem dodgy.

·
Registered
629 Posts
listen to Dave, LEOs know their stuff :) I've had many friends in law enforcement over the decades; you never look at the world the same way once you hear the stories; most people are walking around cluelessly condition white https://www.policeone.com/police-tr...rs-A-simple-system-for-situational-awareness/

not to say be on high alert always, but street smarts helps.... also canada is in general much safer than usa & people are nicer fwiw

·
32,935 Posts
listen to Dave, LEOs know their stuff :) I've had many friends in law enforcement over the decades; you never look at the world the same way once you hear the stories; most people are walking around cluelessly condition white https://www.policeone.com/police-tr...rs-A-simple-system-for-situational-awareness/

not to say be on high alert always, but street smarts helps.... also canada is in general much safer than usa & people are nicer fwiw
So do you really think that having a transaction in the police station makes it safe? Just to play out the scenario... Someone gives you $3000 cash in the police station in exchange for a horn. OK. Then you drive away, they follow you - knowing that you have $3000 cash in your pockets, follow you home, and rob you in your drive way. Are you any better off?

·
Registered
629 Posts
i see your point... in general i just avoid strangers altogether :)

police say:

https://www.kolotv.com/content/news...tips-for-sites-like-Craigslist-401259846.html

https://www.wnem.com/news/police-of...cle_0ea929dc-1042-50ba-97b2-8475b987f483.html

http://pepperdine-graphic.com/sheriffs-department-provides-tips-for-safe-craigslist-exchanges/

"Around 2016, there were about 100 murders linked to Craigslist, according to a Washington Post article, “Think twice before answering that ad: 101 murders that have been linked to Craigslist.”

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
George: Most police stations' lobbies are public places, and open 24 hours. Yes, there are some small departments and other law enforcement offices that aren't available to the public or have closed-hours, but for the most part, one can enter the lobby and take a seat. If it were me, I'd offer an explanation to desk personnel as to why I was there. There should be no objections, at least at departments where I worked, and they were typical of U.S. police departments.

Being there will almost always ensure that no violence will take place there. Having said that, I've been in many brawls in the station lobby - it even happens there. I recall several shootouts in and around police stations.

So, in the context of some business transaction with an unknown person, a police station lobby is about as secure as one can be in this world. What transpires away from there following the sale, is unanswerable - and un-preventable.

That's why situational awareness is crucial, not only during business transactions, but everywhere in our lives. There are no guarantees in life, only ways to minimize trouble. Conducting business with unknown persons met on the internet is certainly a way to increase one's exposure. All I'm saying is, be aware - "it" can happen anywhere, even if you've been there many times/years without incident. DAVE

·
32,935 Posts
George: Most police stations' lobbies are public places, and open 24 hours. Yes, there are some small departments and other law enforcement offices that aren't available to the public or have closed-hours, but for the most part, one can enter the lobby and take a seat. If it were me, I'd offer an explanation to desk personnel as to why I was there. There should be no objections, at least at departments where I worked, and they were typical of U.S. police departments.

Being there will almost always ensure that no violence will take place there. Having said that, I've been in many brawls in the station lobby - it even happens there. I recall several shootouts in and around police stations.

So, in the context of some business transaction with an unknown person, a police station lobby is about as secure as one can be in this world. What transpires away from there following the sale, is unanswerable - and un-preventable.

That's why situational awareness is crucial, not only during business transactions, but everywhere in our lives. There are no guarantees in life, only ways to minimize trouble. Conducting business with unknown persons met on the internet is certainly a way to increase one's exposure. All I'm saying is, be aware - "it" can happen anywhere, even if you've been there many times/years without incident. DAVE
Thanks for the clarification regarding the station, Dave.

As far as “situational awareness”: If no one knows that you have $3000 in your pocket, they will be less likely to target you. Want to avoid incidents? Don’t wear a flag that says “Hey, I’ve got lots o’ cash”.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Just be smart about things, don't be an idiot, don't be naive, just have basic common sense. No need to take things to the extreme. It's enough to meet up in a public place like Starbucks or a similar place to close the transaction. No need to do it at the local police station. No need to shut yourself off to a legitimate source of great deals either. Just don't be an idiot and meet up with a stranger without first doing your due diligence.

Bad things happen everywhere, but we can't let that stop us from doing regular things.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/22/us/three-workplace-shootings-24-hours/index.html

More on point to the OP, if it's too good to be true, it usually is, but it's still worth doing some due diligence (call, ask for photos of them holding X fingers next to the horn, etc.).

·
Registered
133 Posts
the last two CL transactions I did ended up being with attorneys? Didn't know attorneys were into sax that much.

If concerned I wouldn't go alone

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,355 Posts
I'd at least inquire.

If they aren't able to answer very many questions about it. Or sound odd on the phone you could probably come to some sort of conclusion about it (sketchy, stolen).

If they answer your questions and seem friendly ask to meet at a public place (Art Gallery downtown Van is good) and bring a friend.

At no time what so ever have I ever felt uncomfortable buying or selling things off of craigslist.

Ever.

You just need to put things in motion so you feel comfortable.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts