Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man he looked frail. I was on stage right where he had someone basically help him up the stairs onto the stage and then he made it to his stool. Put on a great 90 minutes show despite whatever he's been through lately. He had this show delayed by our fires in October then set up in January but was ill in Jan and cancelled till yesterday . I am was surprised that it took an hour for the sound guy to get his tone right. At least I'm not the only one who has to deal with poor stage sound and micing. Sanborn carried his usual lineup of Sax, guitar, keys, drums and he had a wonderful percussionist playing last night. What a thick wonderful pocket to play. He played some of the old favs, Maputo, Full House, The dream, and cuts off his latest CD. I'm always impressed by how good of sideman he's always surrounded by. Each one a monster and encouraged to do long solos where they could stretch out. I came away with a couple of things, 1. is how much the percussionist added. They started with what sounded like a simple latin jam and it was grooving for 10 minutes without every getting boring. wonderful feel. and 2. Sanborns "heart" showed in everything he played. Even without his signature sound and he missed plenty of high stuff his solos showed why he was the original master and for 40 year people have tried to copy him but no one is him. What a sweet guy. He even admitted that at 73 he forgets things in the middle of saying them and when people tell him about his career he wonders if that really was him doing all that. Great show, I'm glad I went. I hope he can keep playing a few more years. K

·
Registered
180 Posts
And we all wish we can be doing the same thing at 73 years young! David Sanborn is the man and one of my favorites for sure. Such an inspirational Legend! I hope to see him this year once again! :)

·
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
His show as great as always and even better considering what he must have gone through recently. K

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
How is that venue, in general? The Blue Note, right? I've been meaning to get over there and check it out ....

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Congratulations and thanks for sharing this with us. It's always great to see/hear a living master. I saw Sanborn several years back in Germany and he played his butt off.

I was surprised at two things. One was that I heard him warming up and his sound on the concert was not manipulated and his live sound and his sound-board sound were the same. The other was how loose was his sax neck. He had to continually hold on to it to keep it from flopping around.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I really like the Napa Blue Note. They got the feel right. It is way fancier then Blue Note NYC, but still has some of the feel, but not as crowded. Food and drink is a little pricey. I haven't eaten there, but the reviews of the food have been positive. Lots of other places to eat in downtown Napa too. I've been to some great shows there, too. Definitely worth coming to check it out.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I didn't know he was suffering from post polio syndrome.
Same thing that took Charlie Haden early.
I wish him many years of good health.
He was my gateway to everything saxophone and jazz...

·
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd agree with Peter that the sound quality is good/ but we paid 130 for the two tickets and were almost to the side of the stage behind a post. They have some ridicules rule that you can't sit beside your partner, you have to be across. Stupid Hamburger was 22 bucks , french fries 15, no way. We ate at a great Thai place a block away. Mango something. Its a nice place to hear the music but since there are no assigned seats at that price (65a seat) I heard that people were lined up at 330 for the 7 o'clock show. ? I've seen Sanborn probably 5 or 6 times. I remember him getting 5K people to dance at Shoreline Pavilion years ago. What a talent K

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,982 Posts
The other was how loose was his sax neck. He had to continually hold on to it to keep it from flopping around.
Yeah, that's purposeful. He was doing the same thing when I caught him purely by accident when leaving an Orioles game one day. He was doing a free show right outside the stadium and I got to get right up to the stage with my son.

I'm always impressed by how good of sideman he's always surrounded by. Each one a monster and encouraged to do long solos where they could stretch out.
Yeah, I also like to see that, feeding the band so to speak. I recall a show I once caught by a name player (who I won't name) and the only time he gave his guitarist more than eight bars was one time when he had to adjust his reed. He didn't even give his keyboard player a ride until the last song, as sort of an afterthought.

·
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, that's purposeful. He was doing the same thing when I caught him purely by accident when leaving an Orioles game one day. He was doing a free show right outside the stadium and I got to get right up to the stage with my son.

Yeah, I also like to see that, feeding the band so to speak. I recall a show I once caught by a name player (who I won't name) and the only time he gave his guitarist more than eight bars was one time when he had to adjust his reed. He didn't even give his keyboard player a ride until the last song, as sort of an afterthought.
Yeah, I can't imagine not having good sidemen and spreading it all around. Unless you fall in love with your own voice and think its all about you. K

1 - 11 of 11 Posts