Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
I have great seats for the upcoming Boston show. I've seen this edition of the band twice before and I'm addicted to hearing those three drummers together in particular. Fripp , Levin, Collins, no shortage of phenomenal playing on their 50th anniversary tour.
And they have zero tolerance for cell phones getting pulled out during the show, what's not to like?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The drummers were great but Tony Levin carried the show. Upright 6 string bass solo like I never heard anything before. Not to diminish the contributions of everybody else, they were all incredibly good and this was one of the true polyphonic rock performances that I ever attended.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Going Thursday night in D.C.
I'm a little skeptical about three drummers, but super-psyched for the show!

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Is that the same Mel Collins that played with Alvin Lee? Wish I could go to the DC show but gonna see Snarky Puppy that night

·
Registered
840 Posts
Yes, it is the same Mel Collins that played with Alvin Lee. He also worked with Bad Company, Alan Parsons Project, Camel, and many more. Awesome reedman

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The three drummers, I was skeptical myself at first but they were doing alternating sequences and each one had his own unique sound. We had really good seats (row L, center) so the drums rolled from left to right and back. I never thought it would be such a great experience but they blew me away. Mel Collins was good, especially in twenty first century schizoid man when he threw in impromptu pieces of Tequila and Take the A-Train but I really loved his flute (including bass flute) playing.

Just a word of advice if anyone still wants to buy tickets. The sound setup projects more to the back of the venue, and it is much louder there than in the front and also the sound gets much mushier there. So, if you can, spend the extra $$ and get good seats at the front.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
I saw KC when it was a quartet with Belew, Levin, Bruford and Fripp. That was great but I love the new edition as well. I've been listening to a lot of their music from over the years this summer as well as ELP and YES and a few others. They really played at a high level and a lot of it still sounds very fresh. Its amazing to think this is the 50th anniversary tour.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,432 Posts
Too 'hippy'/eclectic for me. I had heard the name for many years but never actually heard what they do until seeing this thread and looking them up. Thanks for the warning! :)

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Too 'hippy'/eclectic for me. I had heard the name for many years but never actually heard what they do until seeing this thread and looking them up. Thanks for the warning! :)
Yes, they played a number of 11/8 timing songs, not for the faint hearted. I think they used the name "Avantgarde" to describe their music 50 years ago. And today it is still "Avantgarde". I don't think Kanye West could sit in with them :)

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
They were phenomenal in Boston last night, even better than the previous shows I've seen by them. They keep getting tighter and more intuitive, particularly the drummers. Lots of sax and flute playing all perfectly balanced and clear even at the loudest times. They are a strange and wonderful band, I can't think of anyone even similar. The ensemble virtuosity is just staggering. Well worth seeing if you can...

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I think Mel Collins is the finest baritone sax player I have ever seen live.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts