Sax on the Web Forum banner

Santy Runyon Tenor

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  trebek59 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

Every now and then I get the bug to try to find out about my Santy Runyon mouthpiece. Anyone know anything about this guy?:

Hand Finger Wood Cylinder Nail
Hand Finger Wood Thumb Nail
Finger Gesture Thumb Wood Tool
Eye Musical instrument Finger Household hardware Gas
Hand Finger Thumb Nail Cylinder

-Dan

See less See more
#2 ·
You may start your reading here:
http://www.runyonproducts.com/about.founder.html
There is also a sub-forum "Runyon only" in the Mouthpieces Forum here on SOTW.
Paul Coats of SOTW was a personal friend of Santy Runyon and normally is very generous with information.
How does it play? It's the first time I see a brass Runyon piece. May be the "military model" mentioned in the link above.

#5 ·
The photos on that web page showing Bird's three seemingly different metal mouthpieces are all photos of the same mouthpiece, the brass made-in-England Selmer, with different ligatures. Nicolas Trefeil has a good discussion of this at http://www.nicolastrefeil.com/cparkersetupandmpc.htm, including a mention of the original ligature's unreliable design. I have never seen a Runyon that looks like Bird's English Selmer, but maybe someone can post some documentation showing that his Selmer mouthpiece was actually manufactured by Runyon, since it's not clear who, in fact, made it.

#3 ·
Thanks Peter.

I've actually put a couple requests in over there, but no one seems to have any info.

I'm pretty well versed with the Runyon line (that would make this piece the chorus I guess), and I have never seen one of these before either.

It plays like the love-child of a Berg 3 chamber, and a Florida link. Dark, but edgy, with a husky overtone. It's been my main piece for years, through Berg, Link, Lawton, etc.

I'll never sell it, I'm just trying to find some history. I'd guess it to be from the 40's, but I'm not sure...

#7 ·
I have to agree with artfulD, those appear to be the same mpiece with different ligs. The arch of the crest of the shank into the body is identical on all 3. This would make sense, as all 3 pics also show an underslung octave key, i.e the same horn-period (ie he hadn't pawned that one for lady-H yet). Not definitive of course.

I will say that some of the design elements are Runyonish on it, but I'm not sure.

#10 ·
Hi trebek59. I now have reply from Paul Coats:
That is one I have not seen before.

The 6MC engraving was added by someone else. I've
never seen anything but die stamped markings on any
Runyon mouthpiece. I have not seen any vibratory
engraved markings applied by Santy or anyone at Runyon.

Paul

So mystery still unsolved. :cry:

#11 ·
Just heard back from Runyon - The mystery goes on....

I'm sorry but we don't have any information on
this particular brand. I asked our production Manager
and he's been working here for over 40 years and he
can't remember that brand. He said it was probably
one (one of the first models) that Mr. Santy Runyon
had made in Chicago.Best Regards
Janice Savoy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.