Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all. I have been a firm believer in the concept of using the appropriate mouthpiece (input) pitch on woodwinds for the simple reason that it works. However, I have always been a bit skeptical of the "Theramin Story" told by Santy Runyon and published by the Runyon Company.

To test whether a saxophone could be played using a small speaker tuned to A = 880 an experiment was conducted. Santy's story and the details of the experiment can be found at this link.

Fact and Fallacy About Mouthpiece Pitch

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,331 Posts
People have tried and no one has come close to what he reported. Acoustically what he says doesn't make any sense.

The reed is a nonlinear generator: it is happy to vibrate at any frequency that is set by the air column. But the frequency of the reed changes with the note being played. The speaker that Santy used had a fixed frequency of 880 Hz. No way that is going to regenerate a standing wave of any frequency not a direct integer multiple of 880 Hz. End of story. End of fairy tale.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps a more interested result would be if someone actually replicated Runyon's experiment using the same equipment he used.
The theremin in the story was nothing more than a frequency generator that sent a signal to the speaker attached to the cutoff mouthpiece. Nowadays the small Korg tuners that are so commonly used do exactly the same thing. I suppose one could go to the trouble and expense of finding a working theremin and setting it to produce an A=880 but the result would be the same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts