Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently began learning clarient. My school has about 15 clarinets that have just been left there over the years, so I took one home to practice with. Inside is a Vandoren 5RV mouthpiece in good condition but needs a good cleaning and sanitizing. Are there any household products I could use to do this effectively or is there some special sanitizing product I should buy?
Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
kage62 said:
Are there any household products I could use to do this effectively or is there some special sanitizing product I should buy?
Use the dishwasher. NOT! :D

(I did it once with a good-for-nothing-else mouthpiece, and it survived unharmed. But I wouldn't do that with my favourite beak!)

Caution with hard rubber mouthpieces - if the water is warmer than just lukewarm, they might get a greenish/yellowish tint (it's the sulphur in the hard rubber I'm told).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot guys
I've just been told that after soaking it in warm water and soap, i should soak it in alchohal to make sure all the bacteria are killed. Do you think that could be bad for the mouthpiece?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Great Bloke.
2,968 Posts
White Vinegar and Water (50/50 blend), any disinfectant rubbed on and then washed off with cool water, rubbing Alcohol also works as does soap and water. The simple answer is use whatever you feel that you must use to sanitize the mpc to your satisfaction. Personally I use the Vinegar and water or the disinfectant methods.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
kage62 said:
Thanks a lot guys
I've just been told that after soaking it in warm water and soap, i should soak it in alchohal to make sure all the bacteria are killed. Do you think that could be bad for the mouthpiece?
Depends on how long you're soaking it. I don't think a short Listerine bath will do it any harm. (stay away from non-food-safe disinfectants, after all you put it in your mouth again).

There's a wealth of information about this on the Clarinet BBoard, eg this one: http://test.woodwind.org/clarinet/BBoard/read.html?f=1&i=169887&t=169711. And I think the same caveats and tricks as with sax mouthpieces apply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts