Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it is at all possible to use a sandblaster to repair satin silver instead of a glass bead blaster? I was curious if it would still look nice after removing the scratches, whereas, I would not be able to spend a great sum of money on a glass bead blasting machine. I would need it for restoring my alto that I have been working on, and other projects.

-Ian

·
Registered
386 Posts
"Re-Phraise":?

Your OP implied you already have a sandblaster and didn't want to spend $ on a glass bead blaster.

All I'm saying is the blaster is the same, you could put sand or glass beads in it.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rowka said:
"Re-Phraise":?

Your OP implied you already have a sandblaster and didn't want to spend $ on a glass bead blaster.

All I'm saying is the blaster is the same, you could put sand or glass beads in it.
Oh Thank you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
808 Posts
You can not substitute "sand" or abrasive media for glass bead to restore a silver plate finish. Glass bead works by peening or 'hammering' the surface with tiny inpacts. It does not remove a significant amount of the plating metal. On the other hand, sandblasting with sand or any abrasive media will rapidly erode the plating. The plating can be cut away in a matter of seconds or less.

There are many low-budget sandblast tools which do not have a media recovery system, they just work in an unenclosed environment and the media is lost. It would be impractical to use such an unenclosed tool for glass bead media blasting as the expensive media would rapidly get used up and lost (not to mention the mess).

So the short answer is: DON'T SANDBLAST!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts