Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i'm trying to make a very difficult decision here as to whether i go for the xl or a smoothbore...... i'm aiming for as edgy, loud as possible. I'm currently using a hard rubber berg larson 90 sms 1 with alexender superial DC 2.5 reeds.....i like it alot but i just need more buzz even on the mid range. after reading all the threads around here, seems like the smoothbore is just a metal version of xl .... which i personally would rather get a metal one because i already have a rubber berg. but i'm not sure if the smoothbore can go as hardcore as the x.l in the buzz section both assuming with the spoiler, so really appreciate with some feed back. thanks you guys :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
umm.... maybe i was too excited, didn't wait for u guys to reply and i already placed an order and checked out at charlie A .....haha.... My final decision went to the X.L #8 since so many of you say that it was a beast. :twisted: , i assumed the smoothbore would be as raw as X.L but probably not as loud i would assume, pls tell me that i made the right choice. As i'm wishing to shut the trumpet player up with this new setup. slice through his altissimos with mine......kakakaka.... just a second question if u guys might know if how long usually would charlieA deliver the item (im in australia)

thanks again

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,370 Posts
Wow - the search button may have helped you in deciding where to buy from. I ordered a mouthpiece from Charlie A a LOOOOONG time ago and it never showed up. Others have had the same bad experience. You may want to contact your credit card company and see if you can get the charge taken off and order from a more reputable dealer.
Good luck with it!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
really? but i heard that charlieA is quite good from other threads in this forum......and i read from his website that, products might delay because the factory might be busy...... i don't really mind for a few weeks delay......but how late do u mean late in order for me to consider contacting my credit card company for cancelation?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,028 Posts
Charlie A was good, very good in fact. But he is dead now and the site is just there to collect money. I can't recall anybody actually getting anything from there in a while, but there are quite a few reports of cards billed with no items delivered.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,370 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh my god......please don't tell me that i've just poured a hundred bucks to the ocean......i'm a student that gets funding from the government to study, i gave my friend cash to use his credit card to buy this mouthpiece.....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
****....i just called their contact number from contact/returns........ it's got a fax number tone.... wat should i do?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i just made my friend to call his credit card company, they said the only way to prevent the withdrawl is to cancel his card......which i don't want to give him this hassel at all...... i've just sent an email in to cancel the order, hope they can get it before i have to report in their account for bad credit card abuse. and if they black list them, it might be good for everyone.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i just made my friend to call his credit card company, they said the only way to prevent the withdrawl is to cancel his card......which i don't want to give him this hassel at all...... i've just sent an email in to cancel the order, hope they can get it before i have to report in their account for bad credit card abuse. and if they black list them, it might be good for everyone.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm glad that CharlieA sent me an email and told me that the order was canceled and my card was never being charged......
and now i placed the order at the runyon website......phew........

so anyways......generally speaking, would you guys say that the X.L is louder than smoothbore?

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
they are the same design only difference is material. Some claim the delrin(plastic) versions are louder, but I think that is more a players perception.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
You know, of course, that playing very loud is not the same as having a Sanborn sound, right?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yep, although equipment helps, i do know the concept of sound comes from the player in most of the ways...... i bought 2 more extra spoilers just in case i need to do some modifications to it but stuffed it up...... haha...... thaz towards my alto..... i'm also planning to get a runyon for my tenor as well.... any suggestion towards a Steve Cole sound? steve cole not as in steve coleman...... thanks, he's got pretty dark but thin sound, punchy but not edgy....

one thing i'm not so sure of is that i don't play much tenor though, currently i use a metal selmer F, but i don't know what size would that be towards a tenor runyon.....coz i look at the chart but it seems quite small, a 7 to a runyon, but it doesn't seem that small to me when i play it, maybe because i play alto more......thanks again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts