Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just looking for a place to get my horn overhauled....any information is greatly appreciated...thanks

·
Registered
680 Posts
Lee Kramka in SF - excellent work, but higher prices than others.
Eric Drake in Berkeley, overhauls horns, he is also outstanding with mouthpieces and engraving. Has a great inventory of mouthpieces. Medium range/ reasonable prices on repair. Very skilled guy.
Stanroys Music, out of the way in Santa Rosa. Gary did a very good inexpensive job on a King Zephyr recently. He know's what he's doing and prices are very reasonable - $500 for repad/corks/felts/swedging. Has a "pro" overhaul that's a little more.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I second them recommendation for Best Instrument Repair in Oakland. (Not to be confused with Best Music on Broadway). They do great work and I used them when I lived in SF. Just going down the stairs and checking out all the flyers and photos on the walls is a musical history lesson.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just picked up my '71 Selmer Bass Clarinet from Best Repair in Oakland. Jeff Hobbs did a great job on the rebuild, it looks and plays like new. They also did my Rev. D alto and tenor SMLs and Martin sop. Always a great job. Everybody I know in the east Bay swear by them.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,005 Posts
Best Instrument would be fine, especially if you live in the East Bay. If you want really top-quality work and live in the city (SF), check out Lee Kramka at Saxworx. No better tech anywere! Those of us in the Bay Area are lucky to have techs like this available.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I agree that Lee Kramka and his compatriot, Don, are tops. He has been my support until this month. Unfortunately Lee is recovering from a hospital stay and cannot currently put in regular work hours. He just doesn't have the time he used to have. We wish him the best. I am having to find another source to do total restorations on Selmer SBA's, and simple adjustments on numerous other horns. I see that Best Instrument in Oakland is well regarded. Anyone else in the San Francisco Bay Area that you have had experience with and who has a production-minded shop?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Good news! I went to checkup on Lee today. He'd been spending a couple hours a day back at work. I thought I'd have to make a decision to pick up my rebuild and was not happy about having to take it elsewhere. Lee looks better, way better. While he's still booked far out into next year, he is doing six hour days and is moving into his regular schedule.

May this trend continue.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,005 Posts
Thanks for the update 88. Man, I can't even think about taking my horns elsewhere. I didn't realize Lee was in the hospital. Glad to hear he's back and I hope he continues to do well. I'll have to go say hello.

·
Registered
778 Posts
JL said:
Thanks for the update 88. Man, I can't even think about taking my horns elsewhere. I didn't realize Lee was in the hospital. Glad to hear he's back and I hope he continues to do well. I'll have to go say hello.
Great, I'm sure your visit will cheer him.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The Horn Shop in Fresno-great work! Tec Bob Stuaffer is an experiecned and talented woodwind repair technician! Its worth the drive to visit Bob! I live in Monterey-and take my horns to Bob when they need his "magic" touch.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Amazing how many venues there are for woodwind repair in the greater San Francisco Bay Area. I've been gathering the citations, but maybe somebody already has a list. No?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts