Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've recently taken a job in San Francisco again, and am in the process of relocating my family. Wife and kids are in Sacto for a couple of months more while we are looking at new places (probably Alameda or Berkeley ultimately), but in the meantime I am staying with family friends in Cow Hollow during the week and have some (rare) time on my hands in the evenings to get in a bit of musical trouble. Anyone know of some mid-week activity in the city proper that might be worth checking out, playing or even just listening? I wont have a window like this again for a long time and want to take advantage of it....

Cheers,

Sactopete (or should I now be FriscoPete? SFPete? CaliPete?)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Frisco? FRISCO! Never. San Berdoo for San Bernardino? Nope. Shaky City for L.A.? Well, o.k. But never call San Francisco "Frisco." Land of Fruits and Nuts? Hmmm, that may be o.k.

BTW: I was in San Francisco. Found a heart. Now what?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,983 Posts
Mmmm...Sunday nights at Madrone on Fell/Divisadero is the best jam session. Good B-3 house band....but you said weekday, so....

·
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frisco? FRISCO! Never. San Berdoo for San Bernardino? Nope. Shaky City for L.A.? Well, o.k. But never call San Francisco "Frisco." Land of Fruits and Nuts? Hmmm, that may be o.k.

BTW: I was in San Francisco. Found a heart. Now what?
You see, that's the reason I like "frisco"... It is so taboo to call it that now... The old timers called it that, but it seems to be tres passé amongst the dot-snobbery. So In my own weak little rebellion I am determined to reclaim it! You heard it here first. FriscoPete it shall be.

Pete

·
Registered
8,030 Posts
Alameda seems like a nice place to live, but I had a great deal living in Oakland near Lake Merritt in what they called "Adams Point". I had a place with a view of the hills and the Bay Bridge. I loved it there and still have some good friends out in the Bay Area.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,019 Posts
where is your job located? you might check out south of SF for housing -- Pacifica, Montara, Moss Beach, El Granada. There are several jam sessions down the peninsula too. There's the Wed. night blues jam at the Club Fox where you might find me this week if all goes well. There are several others. What type of music you looking for? Straight ahead jazz, hip hop jazz, funk, blues, rock, jams?

·
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whaler and MMM thanks for the tips on places to live, we will check those out.

Looking for anything music wide really, I like playing it all. Only important thing is a good vibe and tolerance of relative mediocrity chops-wise LOL

Thanks!

·
13,019 Posts
I hadn't heard of the Sunday night jam at Madrone that JayeSF mentioned. I've heard good things about the Monday night jam at Velma's, 2246 Jerrold Avenue, SF. It's listed on the jamthebay site. I think that site is maintained by sleepless who's here on SOTW but it's a little out of date. Sleepless depends on people like us to give her updated info.

·
17,983 Posts
Whaler and MMM thanks for the tips on places to live, we will check those out.
Are you buying or renting ? I am actually moving to PDX this summer, my flat will be up for rent come September...great place, nice old crafsman flat right near GG Park in a fantastic n'hood. Raised my daughter here.
Only 2 bedrooms, though....

Parts of Berkeley are nice....and parts s#ck. North Berkeley is cool.

A lot of the Oakland Lake Merritt/Grand area is also pretty nice (for a time it appeared I might stay around and Merritt was where I was gonna move). Most of Merritt is cool, some parts are definitely NOT.
Then....some parts of East Oakland are cool (Dimond and Laurel districts up in the hills, north side of the freeways), then the Temescal n'hood as well is really up and coming.

Unfortunately, like many cities, the construction of the Oakland freeways cleaved places is half or more and really created a huge socioeconomic barrier between one n'hood and the next. It used to be a city which ran east-west from the residential hills to the industrial bay and Alameda, connected by MacArthur Blvd spine as the main strip e-w. The freeways ripped that all to pieces.

Nevertheless, some nice sections.

Also look at Albany and El Cerrito, just north of Berkeley. Albany's nice, parts of Cerrito are quite OK, too. They are really almost annexes of North Berkeley....

You wanna consider schools and school districts for the kids. I have a good beat on the SF ones...and have a good friend who worked for East Bay school districts for a long time. PM me if you like and I can pass on her info to you if you wanna talk.

Will you be bringing all of your darling horns, too ?

·
17,983 Posts
I've heard good things about the Monday night jam at Velma's, 2246 Jerrold Avenue, SF.
That's a new one on me, thanks.

Also Dogpatch Saloon on 22nd/3rd at the edge of Potrero Hill has a Sunday afternoon jam which is pretty well-respected. But again...I am givin' you Sundays...

Maybe of help, maybe not:

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=jam+session+blues&find_loc=San+Francisco,+CA

...incidentally, I recently discovered that Yelp now, for a fee, allows their reviewed venues to PAY them to bury the negative reviews on the backpages.....so the intial page or two of reviews are primarily glowing....

·
13,019 Posts
yeah, Dogpatch is supposed to be a good jazz jam.

JayeSF, you moving to Portland? I should get myself by your place and check out horns before you're outta here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts