Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/wireless-systems/airline-atx/airline-awx/

I've been using this live for awhile now, I was previously using the Airline 77 so I'll compare against that. Here's my thoughts:

Transmitter unit:

Mic quality is very good on this, better than the airline 77. From what I can tell, the unit has a standard mic plug so presumably you could swap out with a different mic if desired, but keep the same pack.

Once again, this is a contained unit, so there's no belt clip, wires, etc. Everything is in the transmitter, including battery. The clip on the unit is very strong and big, and will work on sax and trumpet (maybe other bell instruments as well?). I haven't seen the clip open or slip. On the other hand, the unit is pretty big so I can't put my horn in the stand with the unit attached. Not a huge issue, I just remove the unit first before putting in the stand. The unit has a very large clear led indicating charging status (blinking or solid red), mute (yellow) or live (green). It also changes colors to tell you when battery is low.

One nice thing about this unit vs. the 77 is auto muting -- if you turn off the unit, the receiver is quiet. The 77 would make loud static noises if the transmitter wasn't on.

Transmitter doesn't take AA batteries like the 77 which I'm not thrilled about -- you must use USB to charge. It charges fairly quickly (a few hours?) but of course if you forget to charge before a gig, you're out of luck. Battery life is good. I'm guessing about 4-5 hours of live time. One thing I don't like is that it's a non-standard USB plug. One end, of course, is standard USB (the part you plug into the wall), the other end is a magnetic thing that falls out way too easily. Every other device seems to use standard (mini) USB C plugs. Why not this? If they needed USB with more power they could have used USB C like my Pixel phone. On the bright side, it is USB which means you can plug it in in your car, charge it with a USB battery pack, etc. if needed. Manual says the battery is replaceable, but not clear how or what batteries -- maybe Samson needs to replace?

Receiver unit:

Very well constructed - as good as the AMTs I've seen. Great easy to read LED that includes receiving level meter (great when the sound guy says your unit isn't working, but you can clearly see the mic is transmitting properly), current frequency, transmitter battery level (very cool -- haven't seen this elsewhere), dual antennas on back and front (front is likely for ease of rack mounting -- it's a half width unit)

Seeing how this goes for about $350 USD, I don't think there's a better sax wireless system out there. There's only a couple very minor flaws but overall an excellent unit for the price (less than half of any AMT unit). I'd recommend it, especially as an upgrade from the 77.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the review, very informative. I'm thinking of getting one myself. However, based in Australia, with all the confusion of allocated frequencies, just not sure which range to purchase (K, D or G Range).
One question, do you need to sync up the transmitter with the receiver every time you power up? or does it have some form of memory. Thanks.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,512 Posts
Ive been thinking about upgrading from a 77 but the battery charger cord that falls out too easily is a deterrent for me. Even for the price I dont want to purchase something that is not completely thought out or does not work correctly.

Ill just keep my 77 that is still in a legal frequency and save for the AMT.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Thanks for the review, very informative. I'm thinking of getting one myself. However, based in Australia, with all the confusion of allocated frequencies, just not sure which range to purchase (K, D or G Range).
One question, do you need to sync up the transmitter with the receiver every time you power up? or does it have some form of memory. Thanks.
Yes it has memory and you don’t need to synchronize each time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts