Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wore my Samson 77 completely out although still working it has issues that can be repaired but I had the money to upgrade so it was time.

My first impression is that this new unit is much more solid and road worthy.

These are the upgrades from the perspective of a long time 77 user.

(1) The case for the receiver unit is now metal instead of cheap plastic.

(2) Antennas are now removable which is great for safer stowing in a small space.

(3) The Goose neck on microphone is much thicker and seems that it will be easier to keep in place and preventing break down of the flexibility.

(4) The mic itself is a vast improvement because it gets a very clear sound and is very responsive even with hard attacks and volume.

(5) The transmitter clip on is large but is held very securely to the underneath the lip of the bell. It gets in the way of the cradle of my sax stand so that's a detraction but workable by shifting the transmitter to top of bell.

(6) The buttons and the switches on both the receiver and transmitter are a bit difficult to figure out at first but once synced it works flawlessly.

(7) The clip on the transmitter is heavy duty compared to the 77 but does not scratch or bend the bell. Its very lightweight.

(8) Tons of channels to sync compared to one on 77.

(9) The mic is HOT HOT HOT so they have put a gain control right on the transmitter instead of the receiver.

(10) Comes with rack mount brackets.

These are my first impressions in my studio and will update once I get through some gigs with the unit to report how playing live with it works out.

Hope this helps somebody make a decision and of course if you have questions message me.

BB

·
Registered
647 Posts
One huge improvement is that the unit mutes if the mic is turned off. Previously turning off the mic would cause lots of static to come through the house.

Three major issues for me were regarding the battery and charging:
1. it's not replaceable as far as I can tell. The 77 used a single AA battery, so if you forget to charge your unit and you dont have the plug with you, you're out of luck.
2. The charger for the battery is USB on one end but isn't a standard USB on the other end, so if you dont have their cable with you, you're out of luck. At least with cell phones you can find someone with a mini USB cable.
3. The cable they provide connects to the unit with a magnet. I found the magnet to be very weak and was never confident the charger wouldn't fall off while charging.

I could deal with #1 if I had to, but #2 and #3 were deal breakers and ended up selling my unit.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
My Samson 77 works ok but sometimes has a grounding issue with some sound boards.
I prefer to just use my Shure Beta 98 hardwired mic. I don’t do a lot of dancing or moving around so I’d rather not bother with the interference issues, grounding problems and batteries. Just clip it on and it never fails. Built fairly well except fo the thin cable but it has little set screws if the drummer or bass player trips over it and pulls it out of the adapter.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One huge improvement is that the unit mutes if the mic is turned off. Previously turning off the mic would cause lots of static to come through the house.

Three major issues for me were regarding the battery and charging:
1. it's not replaceable as far as I can tell. The 77 used a single AA battery, so if you forget to charge your unit and you dont have the plug with you, you're out of luck.
2. The charger for the battery is USB on one end but isn't a standard USB on the other end, so if you dont have their cable with you, you're out of luck. At least with cell phones you can find someone with a mini USB cable.
3. The cable they provide connects to the unit with a magnet. I found the magnet to be very weak and was never confident the charger wouldn't fall off while charging.

I could deal with #1 if I had to, but #2 and #3 were deal breakers and ended up selling my unit.
I had the same concerns. I called Samson and they will replace the battery but they estimate that it will take over 1000 charges or more before it would give out. Yes the magnetic charger is a strange way to manufacture it.
I'm getting a second chord to keep in my gigging case.

I didn't realize the mute worked this way so that's a great plus.

It does fall short of DP or AMT but at 1/3 the price its the best quality at that price point and a vast improvement over the 77 series.

I have used Samson for 20+ years on stage and every single issue that needed attention or a part was replaced by Samson for FREE, so I am confident that I am backed up by the manufacturer.

All that said, I have not used for a live performance yet and that will be the true test.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi, not sure if this is the best place to ask this so please let me know if it should go somewhere else. Has anyone tried the new Samson AWX that came out fairly recently. Just got one in the mail and have not hooked it up yet. Specifically looking to see if anyone has run it through pedals at all or a mixing-link by eventide? Any input would be great.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,324 Posts
I picked up the AWX last fall after the clip on my 77 broke. I use a Zoom G1 guitar processor with it and it works fine. The G1 only has 1/4" inputs and outputs, so I use the 1/4" output on the Samson into the G1. Then I take a 1/4" cable out of the G1 to a direct box, and from there use XLR to the PA. No problems with noise or grounding. I should add that the custom patches I created on the Zoom are pretty basic. Just some EQ boost and delay, and one patch with delay and chorus. I also had a mute patch (zero volume) on the Zoom for my 77 because of the static issue, but now I don't need that one!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts