Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:
I decided to go for a more open mouthpiece than my actual 5* Otto Link Super Tone Master. I live outside USA and I do not have the possibility to try different mouthpieces in a store.I will be buying by mail. So, if I choose a 7*, what could be the difference in tone quality between a Super Tone Master, a New York and a Hard Resin mouthpiece having the same opening 7* ?
I appreciate your advise, if one of you have had the opportunity to use this mouthpieces o a pair of them...
Many thanks and good sound.
Humbardi

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My search is for my Tenor Sax...! Sorry , i did not post this info.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,063 Posts
I understand the fist part of the question. The STM and the NY STM is that the NY will be a tad darker but also a little more husky. The differences are not huge...they are close and my tendencies lately lean towards the STM but that is personal.

In terms of resin or hard rubber what specific piece are you taking about? A hard rubber link...New Vintage Link...something else completely?

Buying a link from the mail is like being in the lottery. You can get into a refaced/corrected Link for not a terrible price or get into a hand made HR piece as well.

Sorry for that small self endorsement. I dont envy the position you are in.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I just got rid of a Millennium and now have a HR Tone Edge. The Millennium is brighter for sure. The TE seems to have more buzziness however, but not as much as my Saxscape Extra Dark.

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi All:
I found , here in my country, an used Otto link, Tone Edge, #7, that looks like an early Babbitt..I am going to buy it.. I will post some pictures to find some help to identify it.

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here are pictures of the Tone Edge #7, that looks like an Early Babbit. Is it ?
DSC_1510.jpg DSC_1512.jpg DSC_1511.jpg

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is this Tone Edge #7 an Early Babbit mouthpiece ?

DSC_1513.jpg DSC_1514.jpg DSC_1517.jpg

·
Registered
397 Posts
Based on the beak profile and baffle shape, probably not. But you can not see the main desireble feature which is the table to floor distance. This needs to be measured.
Excuse me, may I ask what it is? Is it the the length of the cross-section area of the throat?
And how is the EB desirable in this aspect? Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
Excuse me, may I ask what it is? Is it the the length of the cross-section area of the throat?
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't higher Floor to table ratio equals more projection?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't higher Floor to table ratio equals more projection?
Seems you're right as I found from Theo Wanne's site:
Floor
The inner portion of the mouthpiece behind the baffle and before the chamber. The higher this section is the more projection the mouthpiece has. The lower it is, the darker the mouthpiece will be.
Okay I know what "floor" on a mouthpiece is.....question left is how are the EBs' floor made that makes them favourable.

·
Registered
9,049 Posts
Here is a description I got from James Romain. My measurements agree with this: "...I use a caliper [stem probe] to [measure the] drop from the table at the bottom of the window straight down to the [floor]. In the earlier and great-playing examples of mine, that drop measures .58-.60", while some still very good ones measure .60-.62" The tubby doorstops known as the modern Tone Edge drop to about .65", a 10% drop in the height of the floor that is significant, and undoubtedly coincides with the loss of projection and response, particularly in the upper register."

·
Registered
397 Posts
Thanks Mojo!
But are the figures actually 10x (range of .58"-.65") if we're talking about the height of the cross-section at the bottom of window?

And sorry for Humbardi that I kinda hijacked this thread.

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dear Sigmund :I am talking about an Otto Link Tone Edge 7 ( from 1980 or less...)..Thanks for your response
Humbardi

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ricanna: don't worry..this thread is helping me understand more about mouthpieces and in particular my Tone Edge..let's continue...thanks
Humbardi

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is a description I got from James Romain. My measurements agree with this: "...I use a caliper [stem probe] to [measure the] drop from the table at the bottom of the window straight down to the [floor]. In the earlier and great-playing examples of mine, that drop measures .58-.60", while some still very good ones measure .60-.62" The tubby doorstops known as the modern Tone Edge drop to about .65", a 10% drop in the height of the floor that is significant, and undoubtedly coincides with the loss of projection and response, particularly in the upper register."
Mojo : If I want to measure my mouthpiece "drop from the table at the bottom of the window straight down to the [floor" this is at 90degrees with respect to the table surface ?..Thanks..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts