Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,554 Posts
WoW!!! Not even a good fake.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,048 Posts
... and That, my friends, is why you don’t buy a saxophone from a big box guitar store.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Not surprised. Their staff are nice and cool people- however not too sax oriented. I wen to the sam ash in hollywood and they didn't know if my horn was a mark vi or not.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
... and That, my friends, is why you don’t buy a saxophone from a big box guitar store.
It's actually insulting as to how completely dense most employees of ANY music store are about band instruments in general. I see it all of the time in I'd say 80+% of music stores I know of and/or visit. If it's not guitar, audio, keyboards or drums, they stare at you like a deer stares into headlights. The sad truth is most music stores don't hire people based on their knowledge of music or equipment, but more or less a "body" to put in hours. Are there some stores that are at least semi-knowledgeable? Sure, but the percentage is small. Of course, specialty shops like PM Woodwinds, Saxquest, etc. exist, but I'm talking about your basic "music" stores.

Not surprised. Their staff are nice and cool people- however not too sax oriented. I wen to the sam ash in hollywood and they didn't know if my horn was a mark vi or not.
Nice and cool doesn't translate to knowledgeable and your last sentence confirms that. But hey, I'm sure they were "hip" and smiled a lot. ;-)

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,871 Posts
Some of my best finds were from a guitar store that had no clue what they were selling. Got a Conn 6M from them once with a NY Meyer in the case. Offered to sell it for them to get more and they refused, so I just bought it outright and sold it for profit.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They were probably confused because they couldn't find the white gloves in the case.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
The dude at Sam Ash who sold me my TH&C was a trumpet player. Nice guy, helpful and patient. He knew as much about saxes as I know about trumpets (i.e. zip).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,744 Posts
My local store has a decent number of new and used horns, all over priced. One time they had a NWII Conn tenor listed as a 1969 Conn tenor. Split bell keys and silver plated with the old engraving and nail file G#. I helped them fix their error.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The demo horns in our local Sam Ash usually have regulation problems. I told an employee one time that they should get their tech to run a leak light down the horn. He looked at me as though I was from outer space. The sign by the door says ‘we repair band instruments ‘, however I think they sub that out to somebody off site.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Years ago (70's-80's) they always had a few guys around who knew reeds and brass and most of the stores had guys who could do decent maintenance and repair work on staff. They also had a fair amount of stock in instruments from the major brands as well as mouthpieces, reeds and accessories. They were never a "band instrument" specific store but they were competent. I haven't been in any of the locations I used to stop at in NJ in years but the last time I was in they had pretty much turned into a rock band/DJ supply house.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Bought my Conn transitional tenor for a used student horn price at a Sam Ash.
They also had a Mark VII priced like a VI and a poorly re-lacquered Balanced Action labeled as a VI. So... there's that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,744 Posts
The demo horns in our local Sam Ash usually have regulation problems. I told an employee one time that they should get their tech to run a leak light down the horn. He looked at me as though I was from outer space. The sign by the door says ‘we repair band instruments ‘, however I think they sub that out to somebody off site.
I know my store had a tech in-house but it didn't matter because nothing they sold was playable either.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,048 Posts
Some of my best finds were from a guitar store that had no clue what they were selling...
I once identified a fake GUITAR at a guitar shop! They had bought a Fender “Esprit” (aka “Robben Ford” model), believing the seller that told them it was a Fender Custom Shop model, even though it was stamped “Made in Japan” on the back of the headstock. I bought the guitar after they lowered the asking price from $2400 to $800.

·
Registered
13 Posts
WoW!!! Not even a good fake.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Hey Simon
(me) not being an expert , I would like to ask - what would be a give away that a sax is a fake...(e.g. most evident sign)?
And how "good" is a good fake, say - compared to a true Selmer tenor...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Hey Simon
(me) not being an expert , I would like to ask - what would be a give away that a sax is a fake...(e.g. most evident sign)?
And how "good" is a good fake, say - compared to a true Selmer tenor...
How long do you have? Because we are going to be here for a long time.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I also am intrigued to know how to spot them
I've not followed the VI's much

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts