Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I just sold my late mark vi alto (“73) and bought an older mark vi (“63). Looking at all the differences, it raised some questions.

I really REALLY dig this horn alot! It is a great player. Thing is, that I would live to know some history of this instrument, as well as i want to know the history of my “70 mk6 tenor.

The alto i just bought (109***) has no mark vi stamp anywhere on the horn. It has the new york elkhart and also london stamped on the bell. (Does this mean it was originally sold in london?). Also, i have no clue if the neck is the original one. The laquer and wear looks the same to me, but i could not find a serial on it.

My tenor (180***) has got the mark vi stamp on the bell/bow joint. On the bell it only says selmer paris made in france. It seems to me that it was sold as a laquered horn, but was ublaquered quite some time ago.

Can anyone on this forum help me out with finding a source to look up the sales history and also tell what all the visual differences exactly mean? I would love to know!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
462 Posts
You may find that the serial number is scratched inside the neck tenon.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,408 Posts
Your tenor is a euro model meaning that it was finished in Paris and sold in Europe. Your alto probably is too - in both cases, its because you live in Europe, so its more likely for you to find a Euro model Selmer, and the tenor has 'French' engraving; the alto has no engraving which is more common on euro horns than the ones finished in the USA. The trademark changed over the years. On the alto neck, look under the octave key (you have to remove it) to see the last three numbers of a serial number. If it matches the horn, you can reasonably assume it is the original neck. It could be the original neck even if it doesn't match as they may have swapped some necks around during play testing/final adjustment.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks Saxyjare01. This will be interesting to look through at home (am at work right now) and pull my horn out and be a little more educated. My Alto Mark VI is a 110xxx, which I think is 1963, and was purchased by my parents in 1969 when I was going into high school. Still have it and love it, although my only other comparison is an older Conn Silver that may be a Chu Berry model. Not sure and haven't done very much research on it.

I also have a Mark VI Tenor, 84XXX, that I bought from a guy in the mid to late 80's who was wanting to sell it to buy a new electric bass. He had drilled a hole in the neck for an electric pickup but I had someone fix that problem for me.

Also purchase a Mark VI soprano that is much newer. 299xxx. Can't say I really love this horn but until I find the time to really get out and play some others I guess I will hold onto it until I find a replacement I like better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts