Sax on the Web Forum banner

Sal Nistico with the Count Basie Big Band

6K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  soybean 
#1 ·
Tenor trades with Eric Dixon(?) -- check out Sal's articulation -- YOIKS!!

(This must be the Western New York edition of the Count Basie Big Band -- Buffalo's own Sam Noto -- A BEAST! -- is back there on trumpet...)

#3 ·
Wow!! What a great clip! I loved seeing the contrast between the dancers and the band. I mean, the band is putting out such sizzling energy and the dancers look kinda sedate (I guess there weren't any lindy hoppers there to do hip spins or table jumps).
Sam Payne (?) is that the drummer? What a showman....
But most definitely amazing was the Sal Nistico solo--OMG what articulation and phrasing. Killer band. It must have been incredible to be a part of that generation where big bands like that played for dancers!
Thanks for posting this!

#8 ·
Wow!! What a great clip! I loved seeing the contrast between the dancers and the band. I mean, the band is putting out such sizzling energy and the dancers look kinda sedate ... Sam Payne (?) is that the drummer? What a showman... It must have been incredible to be a part of that generation where big bands like that played for dancers!
Thanks for posting this!
I agree, and I think both tenors were great.

Thanks KB.

#4 ·
There's a funny story here. Sal Nistico replaced Billy Mitchell in the Basie band. Sal left Woody's band to take the Basie gig. Billy Mitchell had played in Woody's band back in 1949 as a replacement for Gene Ammons. At that time, Woody still had vibes, and in '49, it was Milt Jackson. Jackson was Billy Mitchell's roommate. Anyway, fast forward to when Sal joins Basie, Billy Mitchell returns home from the road and receives a phone call from Woody Herman's road manager asking if he wants to join Woody's band because there's an opening in the sax section. No kidding?

Anyway, the arrangement of "This Could be the Start of Something Big" is by Chico O'farrill. Sal swings his assoff.

#5 ·
Yup. CLASSIC Sal. Without a doubt, his work with Woody's and Basie's band(s) in the early-mid 60's are my favorite. He had the sound, chops, taste, etc. The complete package. Kelly, have you seen the Woody Herman DVD that's out from about this same time period? PM me if you haven't. And Andy.....thanks for the story and info. Good stuff!

John

#7 ·
Wow, great performance of Sal, thanks for posting! Eric Dixon's more closed sound doesn't even come close to Sal's classical and big Florida Otto Link sound.

#10 ·
So: who the hell else tongues on tenor like that?!? The only other guy coming to mind is Johnny Griffin... Anybody else?

And yeah, I was also struck by the dancers, who seem to be moving to some whole 'nother band...

Love the musical chairs story, Andy! And John: is that DVD set from the Jazz Icons series? If so, it's on my Xmas list and I think I'll be seeing it soon!

#14 ·
"I loved seeing the contrast between the dancers and the band. I mean, the band is putting out such sizzling energy and the dancers look kinda sedate (I guess there weren't any lindy hoppers there to do hip spins or table jumps)."

I think the dancers were looking sedate cause they were dancing Balboa (can't see their feet to be sure). When the tempo is up and there ain't much space Bal is the way to go.

Here is an example but not on a crowded floor so they do some 'space taking moves'.

Basic Bal moves is about whats happening down below, (feet I mean).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.