1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
105 Posts
I love this exercise! I practice it every day!

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is based on Barry Harris' method. Not surprising.
Yo Barry -Great minds huh? LOL...Though I doubt Sal Nistico EVER was a Barry Harris class guy. BUT-As we both know Barry was on " Sal Nistico / Heavyweights "
(Jazzland 966 - Milestone MCD-47096-2)

Sometimes I think there really is an ELEMENT in this music that IS universal- and can be sold. Sal was a mutha' on that record back in 1961 WOW.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
..i like him with the Jazz Brothers

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,766 Posts
Yo Barry -Great minds huh? LOL...Though I doubt Sal Nistico EVER was a Barry Harris class guy. BUT-As we both know Barry was on " Sal Nistico / Heavyweights "
(Jazzland 966 - Milestone MCD-47096-2)

Sometimes I think there really is an ELEMENT in this music that IS universal- and can be sold. Sal was a mutha' on that record back in 1961 WOW.
Heavyweights is one swinging [email protected]%er! I grew up listening to that album.

I'm sure Sal wasn't a regular at Barry's classes but Barry has always been evangelical on the subject of harmony going back to his Detroit days. I'm sure that Sal and Barry exchanged harmonic concepts through playing together rather than a "student teacher" situation. Also, Sal and Barry (and hopefully the rest of
us) love Charlie Parker. Bird taught modern music to all of us! Sal sounds a bit like Bird on tenor on those early "Jazzland" record dates. He also shows love for Don Byas and Lucky Thompson which is even more obvious on some Woody Herman sides.

Sal kept on growing. At the end he was getting more into a Coltrane zone. Some of it reminds me of Joe Farrell and late Roland Kirk. It was wrong of Sal to die so young and deprive us of his next evolutionary step.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yes that Heavyweights album was so good. Played that over and over.
Unfortunately I lost that album after a lent it to a friend (well I thought he was ) :cry:

thanks for the pdf Tim.

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heavyweights is one swinging [email protected]%er! I grew up listening to that album.

I'm sure Sal wasn't a regular at Barry's classes but Barry has always been evangelical on the subject of harmony going back to his Detroit days. I'm sure that Sal and Barry exchanged harmonic concepts through playing together rather than a "student teacher" situation. Also, Sal and Barry (and hopefully the rest of
us) love Charlie Parker. Bird taught modern music to all of us! Sal sounds a bit like Bird on tenor on those early "Jazzland" record dates. He also shows love for Don Byas and Lucky Thompson which is even more obvious on some Woody Herman sides.

Sal kept on growing. At the end he was getting more into a Coltrane zone. Some of it reminds me of Joe Farrell and late Roland Kirk. It was wrong of Sal to die so young and deprive us of his next evolutionary step.

AMEN ANDY. Bird, Bird, Bird...there's the answer.Really enjoyed WHAT you said, but also HOW you said it.

Sal was also very influenced by J.R Monterose. ( Which I am as well via Sal)
Sal had an amazing memory too Andy, when we had him living in our building in Boston ( Hemenway St- HOLMES HALL ) he played a few sax parts of his when he was in the Don Ellis band. Like the chart was IN FRONT of him!

Thanks for the post-I totally agree!!

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes that Heavyweights album was so good. Played that over and over.
Unfortunately I lost that album after a lent it to a friend (well I thought he was ) :cry:

thanks for the pdf Tim.

Your more than welcome, Sal WAS RIGHT UP THERE WITH THE BEST.

COLTRANE LOVED HIM TOO BTW !!!!

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love the Shape of this line. It sounds so good. I download this off your site a couple years ago. It is very melodic.
Melodic yes- That was Sals thing...burning yey right into the pocket in every way. Melodic, time and all that.

As I said- he would NEVER let me write down anything during a lesson OR tape it. His vibe was- If your into it you will remember it!!!

He wasn't fooling around, and I learned a lot from him- He was a lovable guy and had a mind set that I have yet to experience in life. Sal was one of a kind- and a brilliant guy.

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts