Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give a bio on Sal Nestico. I know he played in the Woody Herman Band of 1963. I have always admired his playing on that album especially his solo on Sister Sadie. I have Goggled his name and find practically nothing. There are a couple of clips on You Tube with him and the Herman Band but other than that he is a mystery player to me.

Thank you in advance

honkinhogger

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,766 Posts
Sal Nistico! With an "I". He replaced Billy Mitchell in the Basie band in the early 60s. He made a few small group records for Riverside, my favourite being "Heavyweights" w/Nat Adderly and Barry Harris.

Great Player! Terrible junkie! He lived in Italy for a few years. Died mid-late '80s.

He's from upstate New York. Came up with the Mangione bros., Vinnie Regerio (drummer), Sam Noto etc...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,436 Posts
I seem to remember Tim Price saying that he was one of his teachers.

·
Registered
Primarily Tenor with occasional Alto
1,547 Posts
I had never heard of Sal being a junkie before....not that it matters with concern to his prowess on the saxophone. He is also a cousin of arranger Sammy Nestico...yes they spell their last names different but it's true they are related...can't recall but there is something out there on the net discussing that.

Could be rumor but I heard that when Selmer was trying to get all of Woody's players to play Selmers that Sal passed saying that he was getting around just fine on his Conn....and man did he ever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts