Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just got one of these and was wondering if people have had any problems with reed fitment? I ask this becasuse i normally use rico 2.5's and they dont seem to fit very well, they hang over the edges of the mouthpiece at the tip. Can anyone recomend a better fitting reed.
Also what ligature can i use for this mouthpiece as i have not got a clue what will fit?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
ive got an original dukoff,zimmeroff lig!!!!

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
2,023 Posts
A ligature I like is FL Ultimate that fits metal STM Link. Also Olegature is nice but you should talk to the Oleg people for fitting size.

·
Registered
337 Posts
A Selmer 404 fits my Sakshama Z with a little filing. Works fine.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,711 Posts
I find that the FL works fine but, at least for Java 3's, you have to put the lig back on the piece at least half way for it to get a good bite. If the screw were just a smidge longer it would fit perfect.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,124 Posts
I use a Rovner 3ML...insert GASPs and other reactions here...and Plasticover reeds, 2.5 or 3 pending on what is at hand. And before the epiphanies start sputtering around, Rovners are good enough for Bob Rockwell and our own Pete Thomas argues on his excellent, make that outstanding web-site, that the ligature really doesn't matter (although I believe he doesn't like Rovners). I do have metal ligatures for other metal pieces and use them, but not for the Zimberoff copy, which BTW is a credit to Sakshama - great pieces!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Here's another tidbit - I got my Sak Z from a friend who's a saxophone professor and mouthpiece guru (in my mind anyway). He mentioned that mouthpieces made from a cast of a vintage piece will have smaller dimensions - when the metal cools from casting the copy it shrinks a bit. He had a true Dukoff/Zimberoff (I wanted it but, you know, money ;) ) that we compared the Sak piece with and the Sak Z is noticeably narrower in the body than the Dukoff.

In my mind, this would explain why Phil's FL fits so far back (where it's fatter) and my 404 needed a bit of filing to tighten down on the reed a little more.

·
Registered
248 Posts
as for ligatures, i just had a custom ligature made by Marc Jean for my Metal SR Technologies mouthpiece. It fits perfect, so i bet he could make one for your Zimberoff at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I find that the FL works fine but, at least for Java 3's, you have to put the lig back on the piece at least half way for it to get a good bite. If the screw were just a smidge longer it would fit perfect.
Mike Duchstein (http://www.saxophon-service.de/shop/index.htm) sells a FL lig Level Expander that might help. It's for the Ultimate and Pure Brass ligs. The price is EUR 1.50.
Click "Online Shop" and the word "Blattschrauben", scroll down until Francois Louis and you're there.
The site is in German but you can write in English, I think they'll understand.

View attachment 30439

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a similar thing with my sakshama “shorty”, but settled on jazz selects which fitted great. Really nice mouthpieces

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts