1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Some cool effects in there. To my ears you sound quite comfortable on the Z and it seems a better match for the style of music you are playing. The Babbitt is nice too, but doesn't go quite as "out there" as the Z.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I'm very torn between these pieces. Tonight I played a gig on the EB and it felt great and was just as loud or quiet as I needed it to be while still seeming to 'fill the room'... The Sakshama is very flexible, very comfortable, and loud and a VERY incredible mouthpiece. I couldn't recommend Sakshama's work higher, and working with him in person has always been a total pleasure and learning experience. I hope to just keep working on both and find a clearer 'favorite' at some point.

again, I HIGHLY recommend Saksahama's work to everyone

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,553 Posts
MANNN!! tough decision.. I liked the Sakshama Z vs. the TM, but i must say that I am digging the EB most of all. Heres my 2 cents although it's probably only worth 1. I feel like you have done all you can do on the Sakshama and are very comfortable on it. Sounds great. But I feel that you can grow on that EB and get something really great. does that make sense?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey SimonJazzSax,

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too man... The Sakshama Z is so beautiful that I couldn't sell it but I feel like on the EB I am having a minor struggle in a good way. I spoke a bit to Ellery Eskelin about this a few nights ago regarding the idea that perhaps your gear can be educational and provide you with positive struggles as opposed to stifling ones. So far I might stick to the EB for a bit and maybe even get my Sak Z opened up a little bit.

Thanks again for the advice! Definitely worth more than 1 cent

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,208 Posts
I spoke a bit to Ellery Eskelin about this a few nights ago regarding the idea that perhaps your gear can be educational and provide you with positive struggles as opposed to stifling ones. So far I might stick to the EB for a bit and maybe even get my Sak Z opened up a little bit.
That's also what I found Michael. I changed from an EB 8* to a Florida no USA 10* some years ago without big issues, but I know now that I learned to put much more air through my mouthpiece(s) because of that change. Even now going back on smaller tips makes that I can handle them better. I played (big band) and recorded lately (for SOTW TOTM only, I'm an amateur!) on my Florida no USA 9 that was too close and not loud enough for me when I bought it, but I can now get much more sound out of it (due to the 10* power I developed I guess).

Please be aware that opening your Sak Z could have an impact on the baffle (becoming higher) and thus on the sound (becoming brighter). I would never let my main piece go for a reface with the risk that the sound can change (unless you don't mind of course!).

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I've never had much of a problem with large tip pieces myself, as I soon moved to more open pieces early on in my development. I'm curious to read more on relationships between projection and tip opening at some point.

actually, John's EB has become more or less my main piece now. I used it on a gig last night and loved it. Great control and huge projection but still a full sound for me. In the venue warming up I did a little mouthpiece comparison and it seemed like the sound was bigger with the EB without much loss in control. That being said, the Sakshama tempts me every time.... perhaps I'll give it some more play in the next few weeks just to be certain. It definitely offers a little more control and, at the moment, some more timbre manipulation in terms of vocal sounds through the tone.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,208 Posts
Michael, in my experience big tip, low baffle, huge chamber mouthpieces can play nice in low and mid register, but are not very loud and can sound thin in the upper register. I own two of those pieces, a 10* Link Tone Edge and 10* Link New Vintage (metal). For such pieces smaller tips seems better.

Big tip pieces with a baffle will become louder and project better in the upper register. This is what I see with my 10* Florida and Early Babbitt Links, having a small roll over or step baffle. I posted a comparison clip on all those pieces a long time ago (>here<).

Great to hear that about the EB 10* you bought from John. I already mentioned in his sales thread that it's a great piece (I played it a few times) and am glad that it seems to work for you :).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts