Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I confess: I'm searching for a Dexter-sort-of sound. I've been playing various Bergs and a Wanne'd Link and I'm getting there, but I want to move closer.

I know many of his early recordings were made on a Dukoff Hollywood. These are out of my price range - much like some of the Wanne and Jody Jazz 'pieces I've tried.

However, I notice that Sakshama has two mouthpieces on his site that emulate Dukoffs. The question I've got is whether the "Sakshama D" or "Sakshama Shorty" is the better choice as a "copy" of a BD Hollywood.

OR: would the "Custom Z" Zimberoff copy be a good bet?

Disclaimer: yes, I know that there's much, much more that goes into a sound than the mouthpiece; but I figure it's not a bad place to start.

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
2,049 Posts
Hi!
The custom Z would be the a good bet. It is based on the Zimberoff House of Note mouthpiece that where BD Hollywood blanks although some people say better finished. My shorty is based on short shank (stubby) Dukoff from 1945 and the D on the modern Dukoff D.
Greetings,
Sakshama

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Go for the Shorty (Stubby) or the "Z". I play one of Sakshama's Shorty's and absolutely love it (I actually have 2 of them). The Shorty has a tad more of a fatter sound than the Z, basically because the chamber is larger, but they're both very nice. Sakshama, please chime in if I'm wrong about this!

John

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. How is the projection? I play a lot of rock/funk, and I need to keep up with the guitars...

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
the custom Z has a little more bite...and i love the feel of the beak in the mouth.... in my opinion it is the vintage piece with more modern tendancies.....i would equate it to the difference between a berg and link in HR

..i'm inviting the big contraversy by saying this...but the fact that these are cast in bronze keeps them on the darker side

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Last question (I think) - what difference, if any, does the silver plating make in the sound?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
i think silver plating is negligable... however sakshama does offer sterling silver(that means completely silver)... I just ordered mine!!!!

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
2,049 Posts
Z has a good projection- more than a vintage Link but if you are fighting with guitars you may want to go to my Guardalas. MBII especially.
Silver plating doesn't affect the sound but it protects the bronze from tarnishing.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
the piece I ordered is the MBII !!! it is suprisingly warm sounding...however if you want a classic sound AND projection the Custom Z is a good bet

1 - 10 of 10 Posts