Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy.
I'm just wondering if anyone has done an A/B with Sakshama pieces and the pieces they're "modeled" after, if that's the correct term. Like a Sakshama Florida and a Florida Link side by side. I tried searching for something like this but I couldn't find any results that pertained to this. Anyone that's owned a Sakshama and an "original" that would like to chime in, feel free to by all means.
I know he's a member on this forum, so if he'd like to make a comment about how close his replication is, then that'd be appreciated. In particular I'm inquiring about the TM, Florida, and the MB II.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I have a Florida model which is very good. I have a Link Florida as well, I prefer this particular Florida over the Sakshama. Link Florida's, as all Otto Links, vary greatly. I also just picked up a Sakshama Post Bop soprano piece which is now my main mouthpiece. I don't have a Guradala to compare it with but I have several soprano mouthpieces and the PB is the best of them all for me. I've spent a good amount of time on the soprano and I feel very comfortable with this piece.

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Sakshama takes his craft and business seriously. He's very customer friendly and communication is speedy--He wants you to be happy with the product.
He does make some trips to Europe/India once in awhile--of course during this time, he's still answering emails but not doing mthpc work as far as I know.

I've always enjoyed business with him and respect his work a great deal. Many of my professional saxophonist friends feel the same way. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending him for refacing work or for his original pieces.

I also believe his pieces to be extremely accurate replica models of the originals. Just like with anything in life, I believe the real thing will ultimately be the best but come with a salty price tag and also extreme variability in quality. You can pay $1200-2000 for an original Double-ring, not know if it was refaced or how it plays or you can get Sakshama to craft you one for under $500.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've had the Sakshama Florida and still have one of his Guardala pieces - I find it hard to compare Floridas because they're all very different, but I can say that his Florida piece really held its own against the original Floridas that I've played. I've been fortunate enough to have played an original Guardala MBI and can honestly say that I prefer Sakshama's G model over the original DG. Great quality pieces!

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,760 Posts
Sakshama is top notch. I've tried almost every copy on the market and there are a lot of good ones, but the Sakshama's always seem to hit closer to home than the other copies I've tried. I've owned and played 2 different Florida Sakshama pieces as well as 30 or so original Florida Links and his pieces were right in the ball park. I would say that the real Links tend to have slightly more depth and more present frequencies in the low end of the spectrum. That's about the only real difference I've been able to get. I have also played his zimberoff / Dukoff copy and it is fantastic too! I own some Dukoff / Zimberoff hollywoods and his is very similar to the original. Same observations though. The low frequencies get rolled off a little. Possibly due to the manufacturing and shrinkage of casting pieces? Or maybe the finishing work? Either way, if you want a copy of a piece that's as close as it gets and plays it's butt off, then Sakshama is the GUY!

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
2,070 Posts
I can make a Link sound vintage or modern, you just have to tell me. Most of my customers like brighter Links so if you got something in exchange most likely you will end up with one like that- great articulating easy blowing Link. Vintage Links sound great, but very often it is on the expense of the articulation - it is like a trade off, you can't have the both worlds. Where these two meet is a preference very different to most players. Sometimes all it needs is a trip or two back and forth to find the sweet spot.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Sakshama, I have one of your Florida models with a healthy baffle. I bought here on SOTW. It had some issues so I had it refaced by Brian Powell. I still find it lacking in terms of poor articulation. Can you fix this? It has a great core and overtones.

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
2,070 Posts
Sakshama, I have one of your Florida models with a healthy baffle. I bought here on SOTW. It had some issues so I had it refaced by Brian Powell. I still find it lacking in terms of poor articulation. Can you fix this? It has a great core and overtones.
Perhaps you should ask Brian to fix it since it is his work now. Refacers usually don't like others to mess up with their work.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I bought a Tonemaster copy from Sakshama a few years ago. He was a fantastic person to deal with. He is very helpful and will answer all of your questions. He can also adjust the pieces to get the sound you are looking for.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have sampled several examples of Sakshama's work and found them all to be excellent. Dukoff/Zimberoff Hollywood copy, and his version of a Guardala Super King. I also messed with a Brecker I that had then gone to Erik G and had the "angle" baffle turned into a really long rollover. That piece was amazing but I couldn't get used to the tiny/narrow beak.

His customer service is fantastic - I got the Dukoff copy secondhand but sent it to him for silver plating (it was bare bronze).

The only thing I find a bit of an issue is that the nature of these pieces - being copies cast from a mold - means that each piece shrinks just the tiniest bit when the metal cools within the mold, making for a piece that's 97% the size of the original (or something like that). It made it a challenge for me to find a ligature especially on the Guardala copies, due to the barrel of the mouthpiece being pretty small.

Having said all that, I'd buy more of his stuff to try if I had the money ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
I was recently talking and playing with my buddy, Howard Brown, who is a monster tenor player that's played with many of the best. Since we'd each just gotten new horns in each others' specialty voice, he an alto and myself a tenor, we were naturally talking about gear. The two mouthpieces he plays now are a wooden thing from Navarro that has a gorgeous jazz tone, big and powerful but warm, and a Sakshama Guardala copy. He said the guy was good to deal with, and having owned Guardala's before, he liked the Sakshama better, found it was great for screaming club date stuff, but was capable of surprising warmth as well.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Rico H for tenor (metal) fits the Florida model well.
I would like to apologize for asking Sakshama in a public forum about a mouthpiece issue in a public forum. Sakshama makes incredible mouthpieces in a way that most of us are seeking: the original vintage, classic, sought after mouthpiece. The G PB soprano piece is killer, my main piece now after a decade on a vintage hard rubber Beechler (Riffault) 10S.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.