Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Sak's pieces are great. On the bright side. What you need to get depends on your tone concept and what you want from a new piece the one you play atm does not deliver. So what is it? :bluewink:

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
currently playing a lebayle jazz 8, bought it when i was playing a yami 475 but i have a series 3 now and it's to bright on that for my liking... also it's one of the most un ligature friendly pieces EVER nothing seems to fit. i'm looking for something with a linkish vibe as for tone concept in the joshua redman ballpark is what im after i guess especially his tone on "moodswing"

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
I had a Lebayle jazz and it was bright,great bottom end though.Sakshama has made me 2 pieces,1 was a 118 bronze florida link.I asked him to keep the link vibe but with atad more edge,and free blowing .It worked great,very good with reeds and it had that great link sound still but i am a high baffle freak so let it go.It was the best link type piece i have blew.I use to play on link stm 7* pieces years ago but this was much better.I regret selling it now as i have just had a turn in my sound likes,dislikes.I have went back wanting a link type sound scape.Check Saks out,you would be very happy.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
IMO you'd be better off trying one of Phil Engleman's custom rubber pieces or a Tenor Madness Early Babbitt reproduction, unless you absolutely want a metal piece. It will probably be closer to your sound conception except if you blow real dark. Phil's custom pieces are very friendly, blow easy and sound great. The Tenor Madness Early Babbitt reproductions are a little less reed friendly and are harder to drive but to me, they had a more vocal midrange.

·
Registered
223 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IMO you'd be better off trying one of Phil Engleman's custom rubber pieces or a Tenor Madness Early Babbitt reproduction, unless you absolutely want a metal piece. It will probably be closer to your sound conception except if you blow real dark. Phil's custom pieces are very friendly, blow easy and sound great. The Tenor Madness Early Babbitt reproductions are a little less reed friendly and are harder to drive but to me, they had a more vocal midrange.
well, yeah i do want a metal piece and before we get into a 'material affects sound' debate i like metal for the beak profile and shape. I dunno, i just like metal pieces on tenor...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
... as for tone concept in the joshua redman ballpark is what im after i guess especially his tone on "moodswing"
Oops. The Serie III is the wrong horn! Shoulda gone with the Ref 36...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
1,391 Posts
Dont forget to consider the pieces Ted Klum is making...handmade focustone is awesome.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
weren't you getting a piece from Phil? If so they're about the same price, and you did say Phil increased his price so then Sakshama's piece's would be cheaper

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
phil's prices haven't changed. saks piece is cheaper. yeah i was gonna be ordering a hollywood 8 through a music store (as im unable to purchase things online). just wondering about saks pieces, this is an older thread than the other one

·
1,391 Posts
yeah but they're so damn expensive. i can't warrant spending that on a piece
IF chances were it was the last piece you ever bought....would it be worth it???

I dont even look at tenor pieces anymore...

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i can't even try it before purchasing it. no way im gonna buy a piece i haven't played that costs that much.

i'm sure they are brilliant though

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,376 Posts
i can't even try it before purchasing it. no way im gonna buy a piece i haven't played that costs that much.

i'm sure they are brilliant though
You're saying the same thing about your other choices. If you buy one of Ted's pieces and don't like it, it'll cost you $50 for a restocking fee. Try a Precision Model ... Chris Potter bought one last week: www.tedklummouthpieces.com for the video.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the problem with my lebayle is when it gets pushed it gets to edgy. i don't really like edgy. i like a piece to get brighter when i push it, as opposed to getting edgy. that is why i like links and link type pieces. because they generally speaking have to drak core sound i like but are able to be pushed brighter

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the problem with my lebayle is when it gets pushed it gets to edgy. i don't really like edgy. i like a piece to get brighter when i push it, as opposed to getting edgy. that is why i like links and link type pieces. because they generally speaking have to the dark core sound i like but are able to be pushed brighter

·
4,466 Posts
the problem with my lebayle is when it gets pushed it gets to edgy. i don't really like edgy. i like a piece to get brighter when i push it, as opposed to getting edgy.r
this problem can be solved with a different reed choice-first go up half a strength, that may do it-if not try different brands and cuts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah, but i like the low end i have now...

getting a large chamber, low baffle piece solves the edge problem and improves the low notes

1 - 20 of 23 Posts