Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some days ago I received this mouthpiece in the mail. It's a 7* opening, or thereabouts. Here's my impressions after a practice session. I'll be as to the point as I can, refraining from any "monster player/big and ballsy/etc etc" nonsense.

Sound: Full, fat and even. No thinning out up top. Easy to manipulate. A bit louder than my other pieces. (HSM, regular Link 6) It seems neither dark or bright, but rather sits in the middle, so you can shape your own sound. (Which is a good thing IMO)

Playability: This piece is easy to play, even though I'm used to smaller tips. The beak profile sort of invites you to take in more mouthpiece. Still, it does have some resistance, which I like. Subtones speak easy and sound full. No intonation problems whatsoever, plays just as well down low as altissimo.

Reeds and: I only play Légère reeds 3 or 3.5. The piece seems to be ok with both. I tried a Selmer 404 lig and a regular Link lig. For now I like the Link lig better.

Finishing: This piece was advertised as an imperfect cast. That may be so, but it looks great. Silver plated over bronze, with a white bite plate.

Conclusion: Very very nice mouthpiece, does everything you would expect from a great Otto Link. It's a keeper for sure. If you're looking for a good Link, you should definitely give these a go.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
..you were forunate to get the silver plate...even if imperfect...... you see ,as you said you dont see anything wrong with it...... and that ,my friends, is how much pride sakshama takes in his work...... so after countless platers screwing up his work...its just not worth it(to him) AND that is why i have the sterling silver version(no plating required,pure unadulterated sakshama work)

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Thank you for your nice review. I have been curious about these pieces and already ordered one, which will be with me within about a month. From your description, it's got everything that I like in a mouthpiece. I'll report back when I do receive it.

·
7,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I tried to include only the info that matters to a player. (Who cares if the rails look nice and all that, I've played horrible looking pieces that were great )
Hope you will enjoy your mouthpiece as much as I'm enjoying mine.

·
5,878 Posts
Thanks. I tried to include only the info that matters to a player. (Who cares if the rails look nice and all that, I've played horrible looking pieces that were great )
Hope you will enjoy your mouthpiece as much as I'm enjoying mine.
Yes, I too don't care too much for looks as long as the piece sounds awesome.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,927 Posts
..you were forunate to get the silver plate...even if imperfect...... you see ,as you said you dont see anything wrong with it...... and that ,my friends, is how much pride sakshama takes in his work...... so after countless platers screwing up his work...its just not worth it(to him) AND that is why i have the sterling silver version(no plating required,pure unadulterated sakshama work)
Plating and casting are two different things - a plater did not screw up the casting.

I agree with the solid silver option though. If not so expensive, it is a great way to ensure that what the craftsman delivers is what you get.

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
2,023 Posts
Actually more than few times when I give a finished piece for plating they do something to it, drop it, nick the rails and so on. After too many like that I decided to do my own silver plating. If a customer insist on a gold plating I will do it too. My price for a solid silver is $700. I hope it is reasonable.

·
7,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One more thing I forgot in the review. The mouthpiece was shipped on a monday (I believe) and arrived on my doorstep in Amsterdam 4 days later. That's quick.
Sakshama is a pleasure to deal with, and I would certainly do business with him again.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,578 Posts
I'm very curious to try one of these, but I'm getting along well with my Warburton "Florida mod" Link that I'm afraid to just try something "because".

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,927 Posts
I'm very curious to try one of these, but I'm getting along well with my Warburton "Florida mod" Link that I'm afraid to just try something "because".
Is there something that the Warburton is not delivering? If so, give either Warburton or Shakshama a call. If not, step away from the computer.

It's funny to me that about the only time I consider getting another mouthpiece is when I'm at SotW - when I'm playing my horn, everything is working just fine.

·
5,878 Posts
about the only time I consider getting another mouthpiece is when I'm at SotW - when I'm playing my horn, everything is working just fine.
yeah, funny. And should make us all think...

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
The mouthpiece was shipped on a monday (I believe) and arrived on my doorstep in Amsterdam 4 days later. That's quick.
Wow that's faster than within the US. LOL!

I tried both. The Warburton is more like a NO USA (spread and dark) and Sak's is much brighter.

·
Administrator
17,256 Posts
One more thing I forgot in the review. The mouthpiece was shipped on a monday (I believe) and arrived on my doorstep in Amsterdam 4 days later. That's quick.
Sakshama is a pleasure to deal with, and I would certainly do business with him again.
Wow, four days must be a world record! The pieces I ordered from the US are mostly delayed for at least an extra week or more by our (terrible) Dutch custom department.

Glad you liked that piece. Very curious how it sounds, reading so many good reviews on those pieces. Are you planning to post a (comparison) soundclip?

·
5,878 Posts
Wow, four days must be a world record! The pieces I ordered from the US are mostly delayed for at least an extra week or more by our (terrible) Dutch custom department.
Same here :-( I have one from the US that's sitting in the customs for more than a week. I was there today and even held it in my hand but still they wouldn't let me bring it home, they say I have to wait until they send a me a form [Impnt]

warp's must have been brought by the Challlenger space ship ...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,578 Posts
Is there something that the Warburton is not delivering? If so, give either Warburton or Shakshama a call. If not, step away from the computer.

It's funny to me that about the only time I consider getting another mouthpiece is when I'm at SotW - when I'm playing my horn, everything is working just fine.
You're exactly right. No, it's not right now I'm quite happy with it.

I tried both. The Warburton is more like a NO USA (spread and dark) and Sak's is much brighter.
That's a big help, thanks for the comparison.

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
2,023 Posts
I would not agree of my pieces being very bright. I can make them any way I like. Just lately I heard comments on couple of them being dark, so it will depend on what people ask me to do or the mood I'm in. As of late I try to make them balanced and probably my earlier phase- year or two back was a bright one.

·
7,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Sakshama is not what I would consider bright. Or dark. But I haven't played the Warburton, so I can't compare.

Glad you liked that piece. Very curious how it sounds, reading so many good reviews on those pieces. Are you planning to post a (comparison) soundclip?
Sorry, no. I'm having an all clarinet / bass clarinet summer. (Just finished recording an album with classical arabic music) In any case, I sound like me on the Sakshama. It's just that this piece is really comfortable, so it feels great. It does not necessarily sound all that different.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
The Warburton is more like a NO USA (spread and dark)
It is so hard to generalize about Link STMs. For baritone, I have two No USA pieces: one that is quite middle of the road -- a touch of brightness (but no where near as dark as a double ring), the other is quite bright and edgy -- deeply into pepper adams teritory. Neither would I call dark and spread.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts