Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Playing a WWBW Studio piece which sounds great on my Shadow, but have a question for anybody that has or presently plays on Sakshamas pieces. Has anyone played or owned both the Studio and Brecker II that he makes. What are the real differences between the two. Pluses of each and which do you find to be most versatile of these two models in particular. I am not looking into purchasing one of his King or Super King models or anything other then the two mentioned. If anyone presently plays on either one of the WWBW models of these two, what kind of differences should one expect when they play on one of Sakshamas pieces? Like my studio a lot but would love a great back up to it, or even to use as my main eventually? Any feedback or input? Which of the Sakshamas sound fuller and bigger?
Thanks

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
2,023 Posts
Studio should be little brighter, more focused because of the smaller chamber. They have about the same amount of baffle but the chamber on the MBII is medium large. I believe MBII is more versatile.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
His MB 1 is very versitile,great fat vibe also.All the studios i blew were bright,my MBII's i had were nicer all round than any studio.I still love the King model though,great sound and very compact,i find the studio more bright and harsh compared to all above.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just out of being curious does anyone or has anyone played on a crescent model? Does he offer this model too? Or has he ever made one of these for anyone on here?

·
2,023 Posts
I haven't made a Crescent yet. I did 3 of B.Marsalis models and that is the smallest baffle Guardalas I have made. Couple of them they where supposed to be Crescent but the customers changed their mind.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Now I am debating on if I want to go with almost no baffle or a slight baffle. It is a toss up between the Brecker models and perhaps a crescent model. I want some brightness by nothing too bright, as I play on the bright side of most pieces anyhow. I can make a stock link sound really bright. Yet I want to be able to get easy altissimo on the piece too. Sorry if I am confusing anyone. I like my WWBW Guardala studio, but sometimes not really able to sub tone or make it sound really lush sounding unless I am using a very soft reed. I usually play 3.5's no matter what brand, but usually play Gonzalez or RJS reeds. Yet on the other hand I dont want anything that is very dark and has a lot of resistance either.. Thanks

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Not to jump on the thread, but to jump in... what would you say the difference is between your MBI's and MBII's? (There should be and "Ask" thread for various makers and refacers around here; maybe not)?

Thank you.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that is a great idea Swampcabbage. No worries about jumping the threads. I like reading all replies from everyone in regards to my questions asked. Interesting to hear everyones varied opinions on things, but I know Sakshama is going to be the way to go for me. I have heard nothing but good things about his work. Wish there were more sound clips on his various pieces, just to give one an idea, almost like Neffs site, but only with his pieces on there

·
2,023 Posts
Wish there were more sound clips on his various pieces, just to give one an idea, almost like Neffs site, but only with his pieces on there
Good idea, I will try to incorporate some clips in the near future on my web site.
Now I am debating on if I want to go with almost no baffle or a slight baffle. It is a toss up between the Brecker models and perhaps a crescent model
Again BM - B. Marsalis model is right between the Crescent and the M.Brecker.
what would you say the difference is between your MBI's and MBII's?
MBII has larger baffle and medium/large chamber. MB has large chamber and about 3/4 inch or less baffle. MBII plays easier with more projection, MB is more versatile. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
365 Posts
why not try the wwbw models and the sakshama models? they are all going to be similar to the originals, which you already like

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Get a Sakshama made for you,he's great and will listen to your ideas and spec.I have had a DG handmade cresent and a laser cresent to the many other models.Great zing to them but i find the MB1 and King my fave and most flexible of the DG models.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input Borganiboy. Much appreciated. I was really leaning more towards the MB1 and the MB2. Which of these two is going to be a little darker? Isnt the king a small compact sound?

·
Registered
365 Posts
brightest to less bright for the laser-trimmed models: SKRB, KRB, Studio, MBII, MBI, Crescent.

i wouldnt consider any of them to be dark. not sure about the BM/PB models

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
YES they are DARK!!!! just broke in my Sakshama alto on the gig last night....effortless playing with all the core and darkness I want...I am NOW an alto player!!!! Its actually the quality about sakshamas copies that make me PREFER them to the originals....ive been avidly comparing my piece to all my die hard sax buddies original DG and NOTHING beats my sterling silver Sakshama MB2

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
brightest to less bright for the laser-trimmed models: SKRB, KRB, Studio, MBII, MBI, Crescent.

i wouldnt consider any of them to be dark. not sure about the BM/PB models
I agree, except that the MB1 has not been made by WW&BW in a LT. I dont think PMS has it in a LT either. Just "handmade" MB (=MB1) exist... and copies of them.

·
Registered
365 Posts
YES they are DARK!!!! just broke in my Sakshama alto on the gig last night....effortless playing with all the core and darkness I want...I am NOW an alto player!!!! Its actually the quality about sakshamas copies that make me PREFER them to the originals....ive been avidly comparing my piece to all my die hard sax buddies original DG and NOTHING beats my sterling silver Sakshama MB2
these might play as dark as you want, but are not likely to be considered dark-sounding mouthpieces

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Thanks for the input Borganiboy. Much appreciated. I was really leaning more towards the MB1 and the MB2. Which of these two is going to be a little darker? Isnt the king a small compact sound?
Well for me the king should be brighter than a studio or MBII but i find the king due to its more compact sound vibe to be atad darker,my Saks MBI was the darkest DG i had.I have owned 1 handmade cresent,1 laser cresent,1 handmade super king,1 laser king,1 handmade studio,1 laser studio,1 handmade MBII,1 laser MBII and 1 Sakshama MB1.As said my fave are MB1,KING,MBII.My handmade MBII was much nicer than the laser copy.Of all the DG's sakshamas was the best overall i feel.Monster piece.I let it go to raise funds to buy my Freddie Gregory MKIII piece which is atad darker again,wish i could have kept it but i have had thoughts of a sterling silver MBI by him sometime in the next year,got some other stuff i want 1st then i will be ready.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts