Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up this killer Sakshama Custom Z. This is a smokin' piece. If you ever get a chance to check one out, do it. You won't be sorry.

I was looking for something that looked vintage and had that "Dukoff" sound and Sakshama nailed it with this one.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'71 MKVI
121 Posts
chilipepper, that piece looks nice! I've been searching for a louder piece myself for a while now for a rock/r&b/funk group I play in but I'm so accustomed to my florida link that I find many of the louder pieces obnoxious. Do you find that this piece might fit in that style of music. It looks like it has a substantial baffle in there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,292 Posts
I bought one of these. Very nice piece. It didn't become my main piece for jazz (my Gaia still holds that position) so I sold it along. But I could have very happily played it if I didn't have my primary piece. And for someone, I have no doubt that this is better than a Gaia -- both are excellent, just an issue of personal taste.

Keith -- Mine was not brighter or louder than a Florida link. The baffle was a bit higher than a STM baffle, but not hugely so. The chamber felt a little larger (Sakshama can correct me). Overally, it was not a hugely bright or loud piece at all -- your Florida is probably very equivalent in those regards. I play a lot of blues, and would not consider this a blues, rock, or funk piece. Your mileage may vary... That said, the core sound was very very nice.

·
Premium Member
'71 MKVI
121 Posts
Thanks for your input. Being a big fan of links and, a jazz player at heart, I'm having a difficult time finding a piece that is loud enough and that doesn't offend my ears. I thought that the Custom Z might be a good compromise with the large chamber and long baffle. chilipepper, I hope the piece treats you well and sorry for high-jacking.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your input. Being a big fan of links and, a jazz player at heart, I'm having a difficult time finding a piece that is loud enough and that doesn't offend my ears. I thought that the Custom Z might be a good compromise with the large chamber and long baffle. chilipepper, I hope the piece treats you well and sorry for high-jacking.
No problem. I also play a Otto Link STM NY 7. I do noticed alittle more brilliance and volume vs the NY Link but it maybe because of the Sakshama is a .110 or about an 8 vs. the 7 of the link.

Sakshama makes the baffles slightly bigger than a regular STM. Even the Sakshama Florida (Link copy) has a slightly higher baffle for more projection. If that is something you are looking for but still want the link style, this maybe the option for you.

This is now my main piece and I am thinking about talking to Sakshama about a Guardala model and the alto model he has.

Check out his website here www.sakshamamouthpieces.com/

·
Premium Member
'71 MKVI
121 Posts
Thanks for your input everyone. I too thought about Sakshama's gaurdala. Just tried the WWBW version and it got a thumbs down. The tone was fine but the facing was lousy. Also, what is it with mouthpiece manufacturers making the table and rails more narrow than a reed? Especially if you are trying to make a loud mouthpiece you would think you would want to maximize your sound source! Hmmph :/

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your input everyone. I too thought about Sakshama's gaurdala. Just tried the WWBW version and it got a thumbs down.
It looks like Sakshama's Guardalas are just a touch more than WWBWs Guardalas and you know that it will be faced correctly. When a get some more money, I probably will talk to Sakshama about one of these.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Chilipepper, I'd highly recommend trying one of Sakshama's "Shorty" (Stubby) Dukoff copies. I played on an old NY ToneMaster for many yrs. and have permanently switched to the "Shorty". It's basically a ToneMaster on steroids. Very much the same chamber as a TM, but with the magical roll-over baffle at the tip. I think you'd be very pleased with it.

John

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
2,049 Posts
Hi Guys,
I just noticed the tread and I would like to add something. Since I cast my pieces I can add or take baffle in any of my mouthpieces. I can definitely make a Z with larger baffle and more projection than my regular ones if that is asked of me and many of my mouthpieces are made that way - to suit a certain individual's taste.
Greetings to all,
Sakshama

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Guys,
I just noticed the tread and I would like to add something. Since I cast my pieces I can add or take baffle in any of my mouthpieces. I can definitely make a Z with larger baffle and more projection than my regular ones if that is asked of me and many of my mouthpieces are made that way - to suit a certain individual's taste.
That's cool that you can do that.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Keith Lafond;1615224Just tried the WWBW version and it got a thumbs down. The tone was fine but the facing was lousy.[/QUOTE said:
you're kidding, right? according to some sources these are the most consistent facings. maybe you got a very rare one.

are the sakshama pieces copies of the original designs?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts