Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought one of Sax.co.uk's Sakkusu baritones.

I normally play tenor in my concert band, but I'm doubling on bari now and had my first 2 hour rehearsal with the Sakkusu last night. It performed really well, and using a Selmer S80 C** mpc with Gonzalez 2½ reed it was a nice free-blowing set up which produced a very satisfying rich sound.

My only problem with it was the left hand ergonomics. OK, coming from tenor I expected it to need a bit of getting used to but on some fast passages requiring the left pinky I kept clipping the front F key because it's extremely close to L1. I tried dropping my left hand to avoid this but this was awkward and it kept happening anyway and it was really messing me up. Luckily the front F key pivot rod is easily accessible, so I took the front F key off and the problem instantly went away.

I wonder now if this is just me and whether I should put the front F key back on and work on my left hand positioning or if anyone else has come across this issue with a Sakkusu bari.

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Well, I don't understand exactly the details of the problem, but it's certainly common to bend keys a bit here and there to fit one's hand properly, and I have done this on almost every instrument I own.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bending's not really the answer though. The front F lever is too long for me, so I think I'll take it to the tech and ask him to shorten the front F lever to move it further above L1. I just wondered if this was an issue for other people with these Sukkusu baris.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts