Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in performing this piece on alto saxophone. I see there is a published arrangement by Elaine Zajac.

Can anyone confirm for me what the key signature is for the first movement in that arrangement? If my guess is correct, then the piece would open in the concert key of F major (D major for sax).

If that is not the case, then the musical lines would have had to have been "messed with" and I am likely to undertake my own arrangement. Looking at the range of the oboe part, it would make sense to have retained the oboe's notes and transposed the piano part by a minor third, though an experienced pianist might not like the idea.

·
Registered
69 Posts
This is not what you are looking for, but I have done an arrangement for soprano saxophone, which works extremely well. Let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
The Zajac arrangement is NOT in the original key. Walter's transcription is in the original key, and it works beautifully on soprano saxo. I highly recommend.

·
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I am interested in doing the work on alto. I just cannot play soprano with the finesse I would want, and I don't have the spare bandwidth to practice soprano that intensely at the moment. If I change my mind, I know where to get Walter's arrangement, and will do so!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Alan
If you mean the clarinet sonata contact me I have a copy of it. It was yanked as an unauthorized transcription by the copyright holder. It was part of Sinta's rep in the late 70's. I had a wonderful of him and Ellen playing it at Syracuse Univ.

·
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Don, I did mean the Oboe Sonata. I have the clarinet arrangement from about 10 years ago. I also have that recording --got it from you years ago!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Alan
If you mean the clarinet sonata contact me I have a copy of it. It was yanked as an unauthorized transcription by the copyright holder. It was part of Sinta's rep in the late 70's. I had a wonderful of him and Ellen playing it at Syracuse Univ.
I'm just curious. I have the clarinet sonata but it is Opus 167. Is this the same as the oboe sonata Op.166.

·
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm just curious. I have the clarinet sonata but it is Opus 167. Is this the same as the oboe sonata Op.166.
No, they are completely different pieces. The oboe sonata also works very well on soprano saxophone, I'm told.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts