Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never seen one up close or anyone play one.
What are you opinions?
If you are in the industry I want your opinion too just state your bias.
Are they similar to Theo Wanne pieces? Bore size tendencies?
thanx in advance.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
They were superb quality mouthpieces while Eric Falcon was making them. I have both HR and some metal as well, for SATB. The MacSax D-Jazz HR for baritone is an especially fine piece — exceptional; unfortunately MacSax stopped making them shortly before Eric left. The FJ III metal piece for tenor is also top quality. (Here's Steve Neff's review: http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2012/01/macsax-fjiii-tenor-saxophone-mouthpiece/).

The el cheapo line of printed "Aura" mouthpieces for alto and tenor, which were aimed at improving students, was also superb — selling at a bargain basement price ($65 for alto; $85 for tenor, iirc), they were really of PROFESSIONAL quality. The tenor Aura was based on Eric's personal Florida Link STM; the alto one I think was derived from the famous Meyer piece. Unfortunately, MacSax discontinued this line also, before Eric left them.

There is a YouTube commercial where Eric introduces himself: "My name is Eric Falcon. I am the president here at MacSax in Austin, Texas." This was published January 25, 2017(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp3inemfxo0); in the latter half of that year, Eric and MacSax went their separate ways for undisclosed reasons.

Now that Eric has left MacSax, there is probably some change in the final product, but I haven't been keeping up with their progress and I don't know who is now making the pieces for them. Eric usually signed his work with his initials inside the shank, so look for that if you want a MacSax mouthpiece that was made by him.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
I think the company is completely gone. The website was gone last I checked, and 10mfan was liquidating the mouthpieces.

EDIT: Website is still there, but all of the mouthpieces are discontinued.

·
10MFAN MOUTHPIECES--- "Innovation over imitation"
15,807 Posts
If someone wants to buy a specific model just let me know. I can still get hold of some of them.

·
8,244 Posts
Similar to Theo Wanne pieces in that they are free blowing.
Way more free blowing in my opinion.
Personally I think Theo makes a better piece, but the earlier Macsax Bob Sheppard Tenor piece was pretty good.
I recently got a D Jazz piece which I’m a little undecided about.
Seems a decent piece but very buzzy and a lot brighter than expected.
Perhaps I just don’t get along with Eric’s facings.

·
15,807 Posts
A lot of players want more freedom and an easier blow, along with some buzz, so some pieces are designed to do that.
Others want a more traditional design with more resistance and warmth, without any buzziness.
I have heard it all.
Remember, a lot of what we like and feel comes from what we have grown accustomed to. VERY IMPORTANT.
A guy who really likes hr Links and tries out a Guardala Super king will find it ridiculously free blowing and will hate it.
The player who has been playing that Guardala and finds it perfect, will try the Link hr and find it super stuffy and resistant...and will hate it.
Does that mean that both pieces are made poorly or aren't good....no. Its all just in the eyes of the beholder.
Different flavors for everyone to enjoy.
Both Eric and Theo make all types of designs that will accommodate players with different preferences.

·
15,807 Posts
On a sidenote, and personal note, to share my own recent experiences:

I had some Sheppard ll HR pieces here recently, and they played very well.
They were just too warm for my personal taste, as I personally want more freedom and some more punch.
So I put on my Robusto, and voila---thats what my ears wanted to hear. Big difference for me, and the difference that I prefer.

FOR OTHERS, THEY WILL LIKE THE EXACT OPPOSITE.
Loads of mouthpieces and reed combinations out there to help you dial in what it is that YOU prefer.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I think the company is completely gone. The website was gone last I checked, and 10mfan was liquidating the mouthpieces.

EDIT: Website is still there, but all of the mouthpieces are discontinued.
I wonder if it was Macsax's attempt to sell a full line of saxophones as well as mouthpieces that brought down the company in some way. Boutique mouthpiece makers seem to enjoy a longer potential lifespan than small horn importers. Macsax tried to expand by getting distribution through, e.g., the Woodwind and Brasswind. That's a nice channel to have if you can support it, but I imagine it places extra demands on a small firm's capital and staff resources. So if the horns don't sell ....

There are still a few "open box" Macsax saxophones listed at the WW&BW.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I ordered a Shep and a D-Jazz from Saxquest when they went on blow out special, but I ended up sending them back since I had some other pieces that did similar things and I liked better that cost less. That being said, they were quality and well made, just ended up not being my thing.

·
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I should expect them to be irrelevant soon . . . I hadn't looked at ww&bw(and other related companies) in a while and I noticed this huge line of pieces priced high end . . . so I assume they are just selling off what they have?

·
Banned
566 Posts
On a sidenote, and personal note, to share my own recent experiences:

I had some Sheppard ll HR pieces here recently, and they played very well.
They were just too warm for my personal taste, as I personally want more freedom and some more punch.
So I put on my Robusto, and voila---thats what my ears wanted to hear. Big difference for me, and the difference that I prefer.

FOR OTHERS, THEY WILL LIKE THE EXACT OPPOSITE.
Loads of mouthpieces and reed combinations out there to help you dial in what it is that YOU prefer.
too true.
very good information.
thanks.

·
7,890 Posts
So I should expect them to be irrelevant soon . . . I hadn't looked at ww&bw(and other related companies) in a while and I noticed this huge line of pieces priced high end . . . so I assume they are just selling off what they have?
I don’t know why you’d say they’ll be irrelevant soon. Gregory mouthpieces haven’t been made since the 70s and they’re very much still “relevant”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
744 Posts
I don’t know why you’d say they’ll be irrelevant soon. Gregory mouthpieces haven’t been made since the 70s and they’re very much still “relevant”.
Not sure if that is a good comparison, Gregory pieces were around a lot longer and a lot more historically significant. I'm not saying they won't be around and still talked about a little bit, you never know. I just don't think that is the correct comparison to be made.

·
2,215 Posts
From what I know, MacSax is still kicking, and they're focusing on horns and possibly on mouthpiece blanks for other companies to finish-- their blanks are reportedly great and apparently they have a prodigy machinist there who's doing great work. I've been playing a Bob Sheppard model MacSax tenor piece for about six years and it's fantastic, like an old rubber Link but easier to play. (I'm playing that piece on all the Progger albums and videos, FWIW.)

I was sad to hear Eric had departed, he does great work. MacSax has been a stand-up company every time I've interacted with them, and I hope both parties do well.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Eric makes great mouthpieces. I had one of his old Warburton pieces for awhile, and love the Sheppard alto piece he made for Macsax.

·
7,890 Posts
Saxquest states that Eric Falcon is associated with their (Saxquest's) line of soprano mouthpieces.
He also works with 10mfan and some others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts