Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here is a just for fun thread..I got this horn a couple months ago. A Selmer SA80 series II sop, serial 496XXX..a 90's horn

After some initial repairs and leak tweaking I'm finding it a great horn, well the honeymoon is over, she's a keeper and a beauty at that..

here's the question, I have noticed the engraving is extensive, even extending under some keys..? seems like perhaps more than would be normal ??

FWIW he pattern looks a bit similar to my '68 silver VI Tenor which has the French style engraving.

Anybody care to share pics of your engraved series II sop ???

have a great day

thanks

Cash :mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
My VI-soprano (1959) has similar engraving - not the same design exactly, but engraved in the same general areas as yours. According to Douglas Pipher, mine was assembled and lacquered in France, then shipped to the U.S. where the engraving was done through the lacquer. And, it is obvious that it was done through the lacquer because the engraved areas are totally devoid of lacquer.

I don't have decent photos (at least to post here) and I always sweat bricks trying to post photos on SOTW anyway. PM me and we can exchange e-mails and THEN I can send you photos over e-mnail. DAVE

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave, PM sent..

I'd be curious to see if the engraving extends under the key arms like mine.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Cash: I sent the photos by e-mail before I saw this post. None of my photos show those areas, but I just looked at it again, and the engraving does not go under any rods or arms. However, part of the engraving does go up between the low C and low C# tone holes.

The "MARK VI" with the circled R below the right thumb hook is an engraving, not a stamping (note the circled R is not centered in the circle).

Oh well . . . DAVE

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think maybe I got a freak..I just don't think they would engrave under keys on purpose, looks like the engraver might have done the wrong side first..who knows, anyway I like it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts