Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just got this SA80 Series 1 tenor as a back up/dive bar/outdoor gig horn so that my MKVI can stay in on those nights.

The neck is bent down really far, and instead of messing with getting it fixed since I really don't like the angle of the Series 1 (or Series 2) neck to begin with, I am looking into what neck to get for this horn.

So far, I have tried a Series 2 neck, and a Solid Nickel Silver P.Mauiat neck. The series 2 works, but I hated the way it made the horn angle into me, and I had to hold the horn so close, which is so unlike my MKVI. The P.M. Nickel Silver neck sounded better, and had a good angle, but that one wasn't for sale, it was on a horn a local store had, so who knows if another one would work as well.

I want to try a Selmer Goldbrass (copper-ish) neck, and possibly a Barone or Oleg or ??? but I would love to try a bunch, but in our world, I know this can't happen unless you have a major hook up somewhere. But, I think I am willing to travel to try, depending on what kind of trip that would be cost wise, but it would be nice to get away for a few days.

I don't want to spend more than $400.00, and even thats a little much...

I would love to slap a Gloger or another high end euro-made neck on it, but I don't have that kind of money now, and would probably be trying them on my MKVI if I did.

Any advice? Thoughts? Anyone have any used ones they want to sell to me?

I have searched on here a little to see if anyone uses a different neck on a SA80-1 Tenor, but I don't have that kind of time to spend on here searching, I practice instead...

Thanks for your time if you have any insight.

- Brad

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
Give one of these a try...

Link to eBay neck

I've tried one on my MkVI and it was totally decent. Sound is similar to the Barone neck that I have, which is a little more powerful and cutting than the stock VI neck. I believe Keith Ridenhour on this board has used one as well and likes it I think.

The above auction has ended, but the same supplier has been selling these necks on eBay for over a year... I'm sure if you contact him he'll sell you one (you can probably get it for a little less than the auction price... make an offer to him).

Pete

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,340 Posts
I have a Reference 54 neck that has been altered to fit a Series I tenor. The exterior is a brushed finish with clear nicholas lacquer. It is a good match. I am using an exceptional silver plated MKVII neck on mine but wanted to try a different angled neck as well. It worked great but I found that I was too used to the MKVII/SA80 angle. I have $300 into this plus the work to have it altered. The new series III, Ref36/54 necks don't fit the SA80 series I/II horns anymore because the bottom of support bar underneath the necks collide with the octave lever. Price is $300. Send me a PM if you are interested.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the ideas guys.

I will keep the fact that you have yours for sale in my head...

My MKVI neck is too large for the SA80-1.

Any other people with ideas or has tried anything else on a SA80-1 tenor?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Super Action 80 Tenor, Buescher 156 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 , Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari
4,947 Posts
brasscane said:
The new series III, Ref36/54 necks don't fit the SA80 series I/II horns anymore because the bottom of support bar underneath the necks collide with the octave lever.
I just bought a III neck for my series I about 6 months ago from WWBW that fits just fine, but it's possible that it was older stock I suppose. The neck fits very well, and the angle was much more comfortable to me than the stock neck. I've noticed a lot less resistance, slightly more response, and a little more flexibility in the alltissimo register. Intonation was not effected by the neck. The going rate for the III goldbrass is about $300 and about $100 more for the silver. The III gets my vote from personal experience. It works, and it works well.

A lot of Series I owners love the later Mark VI necks on their horns. I tried one, and it was very good, but I can not justify the price for a neck that has been going for $500-$600. The earlier VI necks, such as yours, will require your tech to make a significant tenon adjustment to your horn. You would be able to use the neck that you have, but then you risk damaging it and ridding the point of even having the back up horn.

I've heard a lot of good things about using the P.M. neck as you stated, but have not come across one myself. Supposedly P.M. is pretty consistant in their quality and I'm pretty sure that Kessler sells them. If you were happy with the P. Mauriat neck, go with it. I think it's also the least expensive so that's a bonus. The Oleg's are a wonderful option, but they are a bit pricey too, especially considering that this is for a backup horn.

·
4,340 Posts
SuperAction80 said:
I just bought a III neck for my series I about 6 months ago from WWBW that fits just fine, but it's possible that it was older stock I suppose.
Can you post a pic of the neck, please? I would be really interested to see what it looks like, specifically the support underneath. Thanks!

·
Super Action 80 Tenor, Buescher 156 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 , Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari
4,947 Posts
Sorry for the lack of resolution, I am limited to a camera phone. This neck fit my S80I right out of the box. During the horn's overhaul Jim Germann said that he did a slight tenon adjustment to make the neck seal air tight, but this probably would have been done with the original neck as well. The red bumper he used shows that the octave lever is well below the metal neck bar. If the III neck has been changed by Selmer, this one is probably older stock. The back of the neck has the Blue and Gold S logo on the octave key and does not have the engraved III found on the earlier necks.

·
4,340 Posts
Thanks, I really appreciate this. Clearly different from the Ref necks. Wish I had known.

·
4,947 Posts
I looked up pics of the Reference necks on Saxforte.com and they do have the lower support bar as you described. I was under the impression that the III keywork was almost identical to the Reference horns. In addition to different palm keys I guess they went with a smaller octave mechanism as well. Brasscane is your Series I your primary horn?

·
4,340 Posts
SuperAction80 said:
Brasscane is your Series I your primary horn?
Never thought of that but I suppose the answer is yes since it is what I bring to lessons and to the ensemble I play with. I have a couple of more expensive horns at home that I rarely take outside.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
The III neck is a higher arch neck, but not as high as the II and I series. The neck brace will be out of the way of your octave lever.

The 54/36 necks are lower arch necks and the bottom brace will probably hit your octave lever. And tunning might be a problem, but these necks could warm up the tone. Also the lower arch will be very comfy for playing.

Personally I think you'll have the best luck with a series III and you can get that in GoldBrass if you like from Kessler for a little over $300.

I'd stay with a selmer neck on your selmer horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Alto: Couesnon and Bettersax (by Bundy); Tenor: YTS-61; Sop: Antigua Winds 4280; C-mel: Conn
3,161 Posts
I had an SA80 I and used a Peter Ponzol gold-plated neck with it, an excellent combination.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I might end up going for the p.mauriat neck. I had no fitting issues. and it's sound was huge, and it would be good on my wallet, and it looks cool in the nickel silver on top of the horn. (used to have a super 20 - i miss that looks) I am not sure. I am probably going to call Kessler's and see if they have any of the goldbrass ones in tomorrow. It is just for a back up horn - i can't justify spending over $400 on some other neck. I am going to keep my eyes open for a ponzol or oleg for a week or so before deciding on getting something. We will see...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
pm nickel silver neck.

I went out and tried that P.M. Nickel silver neck today, and my friends who work at the shop and I were floored. The one friend had a MKVI neck that fit my SA80-1 and it was great - just like a selmer should be, and WAY better than the original bent neck, (which I bent back yesterday to the correct shape, plays, but not very good. stuffy, and the angle kills me) BUT then i put on the P.M. neck and the horn opened up large - felt like when I had my super 20. I told them I would sleep on it, but I already know I am going to call to have them try to order one for me. I have played tons of horns, apprenticed as a repairman for 5 years, and have studied sax for years, and other than good mark vi's this neck made this series 1 feel amazing more than most other modern tenors I have ever played. I can't wait to overhaul the horn also, it will be killer... hope my MKVI doesn't get jealous...thanks for your thoughts everyone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,404 Posts
Sounds like a good solution. I had a similar reaction when I put my Barone neck on my SDA. It allows me to move a lot of air through the horn.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
just to update - I got the neck in, the solid nickel silver bright finish p.mauriat neck, and tried it for an hour before decided on it. It made my SA801 play better more in tune than any other horn I own or have owned. The sound is huge, thick, and very powerful - perfect for a "rock'n'roll" horn. Scary, but it makes this horn play in ways, better than my VI, but it still doesn't have that VI sound I like for my jazz playing. And at a fraction of the price of all the other necks I tried or could have custom ordered - what a steal! I will be recording some clips soon, and will put them on my new website I will be putting up sometime in the next week. (I am going to drop the yahoo site and get a dynamod site.)

·
4,947 Posts
daddywagsmusic said:
It made my SA801 play better more in tune than any other horn I own or have owned. The sound is huge, thick, and very powerful - perfect for a "rock'n'roll" horn. Scary, but it makes this horn play in ways, better than my VI, but it still doesn't have that VI sound I like for my jazz playing.
Haha you took the words right out of my mouth. :D Most people don't realize what these horns can do...or at least that's my observation by the prices these horns are going for on ebay. Please let me know when you have those soundclips up I can't wait to hear them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts