Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Started playing alto again after layin off for about six months. My God that SA 80 is a fine horn. Thanks. Just had to get that out.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,285 Posts
Yeap, I or II. I love II's. IMO, the best altos you can put your hands on, but that's me. I guess somebody else might agree.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I have not met a SA80II that I have liked, SAT or B.

But, some folks sound great on them. They're just not my bag.

Now, the early serial# SA80I Tenor that I played was one of the top 5 best-playing tenors I have ever put my hands on.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,077 Posts
I have not met a SA80II that I have liked, SAT or B.

But, some folks sound great on them. They're just not my bag.

Now, the early serial# SA80I Tenor that I played was one of the top 5 best-playing tenors I have ever put my hands on.
I've always said the SA 80 (by the way, it's not "SA 80 I" or "series 1", it's just SA 80...) was he second best horn they ever made. The "series 2" is a complete light-weight compared to it. Some ergonomically quirky keywork (try rolling a bis key on a SA80 alto . . . oh yeah, I'm not supposed to do that . . . did I say roll the bis? heh-heh . . . ) I wonder if we'll ever start seeing them on the market, seems like all the original owners are keeping them.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As JohnGalt said SA80 which after series II and III implies I. I had the oppurtunity to buy a MarkVI when I bought the SA80. In fact I went there to buy the VI. After playing the 80, I bought it instead for $1400, instead of $3500 for the VI.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've played a lot of II's that were dogs - I got mine new from Randy Jones in '98. I don't know what kind of voodoo that guy performs on horns, but it really kills - sounds even better since I pulled the pads this week and put in plastic resos.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.