Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SA 80 series I, II or III neck on MKVI Baritone?

Is anyone using or have you used a SA 80 series I, II or III neck on a MKVI Baritone?
And how are you finding it compared to original neck?
Intonation wise I doubt there would be any big differences but am curious about differences in resistance and tone colour etc.
Yes I do have the original neck and it’s in fine shape.
I don’t need another neck but am still interested to know, as I liked the difference a series III neck made in my MKVII Tenor.
Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,817 Posts
found this

I use a Selmer Super Action 80 neck on my Mk.VI bari, that works very well. You should be able to find one of those at an affordable price (I bought mine on eBay for around $100). It might be necessary to have your repairman adjust the tenon slightly to make it fit well on the horn.
I have now picked up a Super 80 neck ($80.00 on ebay), which plays fine to me. I've not noticed any intonation problems, but then again baritone is not my first instrument, so I may be holding back a little. I'll keep a look out for an original IV neck, just to make the instrument complete.

Thanks for your responses.

·
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Milandro.
I did find these two about the series I necks but nothing about series II or III necks.
Perhaps they’re all pretty much the same throughout the three series.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,817 Posts
I think they may be.

Other folks have also swapped Yamaha and Yanagisawa necks on Selmer Baritones. For some reason the baritones seem to lose their necks more than any other saxophone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,988 Posts
The Series I/II baritone necks are really similar to a Mark VI baritone neck.

The Series III baritone neck (as for alto and tenor necks) is way different in terms of bore: it's reinforced under the bent (thinner wall, like all Series III necks) and it has more mass near the receiver.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have a II neck on my bari. I don't have the original but I've tried with a later vintage VI neck and I could tell any difference.

·
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I recently got a solid silver Yanagisawa Baritone neck for my B6 and can report that it fits and tunes well on my VI Bari.
Really brings the Yani to life also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts