Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired an SA 18-20 Series 8 Tenor. It is in pretty decent shape, plays pretty well, especially given the fact that it still has most of its original 70+ year-old red pads. It and my 1951 Dynaction Tenor are pretty much idential except for the bell-to-body brace, lyre holder and some minor details.

I took the pad off of the Chromatic F# to get some pictures of the original red leather pad, which is easy as the resonator is what holds the pad in. I was disappointed to find out, however, that someone had replaced the Low C pad and did not re-use the original resonator, in fact, they used a Conn Res-O-Pad.

One of these days, I will just need to get an SDA Tenor from the 1960s and I will have a Buffet Tenor from the 1940s, 50s, 60s, and 70s.

Musical instrument Wind instrument Snake Scaled reptile Python

Wood Door Button Circle Metal Wood Gas Wheel Circle Button Light Wood Circle Button Flooring

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
'SA'? Is that 'SDA'?
This is 2 series before the SDA. SA refers to the SA 18-20 on the bell engraving. The SDA would technically be a Series 10 horn, AKA the 10th model of saxophone that Buffet produced.

Product Textile Sleeve Dress Gold

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, It is original Lacquer, mostly original pads. I think I counted only 6 or 7 pads that have been replaced. I was playing it this morning and going back and forth between it and my Dynaction, and they sound pretty much the same. The necks are interchangeable, both have the light, flute-like, keywork. This does need a good clenaing though. Where the finish has worn off, and there is bare brass, it feels like brass that hasn't been touched in quite a few years. I plan on disassembling it, cleaning it, cleaning/treating the pads, and polishing up the bare brass areas. It's hard to tell from the picture, but there is quite a bit of lacquer loss, down to 70% remaining, and the exposed brass has aged to the color of the lacquer. Once polished up I'm going to evaluate if I want to leave it or take it all down to bare brass.

The picture in the above post about the SA in the engraving is actually from my 1951 Dynaction, which is about 98/99% original lacquer, I had it im my image repository on here so it was easy to grab for reference.

I think Buffet used that bell-to-body brace first, Beaugnier's looked similar, but I think it was shorter. Buffet brought this style of bell-to-body brace back for the S1 and rotated it 90 degrees.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts