Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
They were made for a short time and aren’t as popular as the 991 or 992 or 901.

I’ve seen them sell from $1,100-$1700 with all new pads.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,506 Posts
Xe.com shows the equivalency of Swiss franc and USD.

2800chf = $2772, it is almost one for one.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know the exchange rate I live here but it is hard to find used horns at reasonable prices sometimes. Especially sops..2800 seems a bit much for this model. It is in a shop and in good order cosmetics and mechanics. I see a series ll selmer for 2450 no idea of condition.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also looking for a denser darker sop. I know MP has alot to do with it but am I wrong to think Asian horns are a bit on the sweeter side?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,467 Posts
The p;rice you quote is certainly high for a secondhand instrument.

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t be able to search in Germany, Italy or France ( let alone Begium and the Netherlands) for what you are looking for. You would be buying tax free new ( have you checked Thomann and Matthew’s ?) and have access to a very wide range of options buying secondhand.

I am sure that with just alittle bit of readiness to travel you would be able to find anything you seek. Yanagisawas are very nice sopranos but there are alternatives, it much depends on you.

·
39,467 Posts
how much are import duties? VAT is 21% in the NL, you won’t pay that.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ends up about the same. 7.7 sales plus costs are pretty close. You know of any nice sops in your neighborhood?

·
39,467 Posts
well 7.75 + shipping (often large shops do this cheaply or included in the price) is not 21%!

Yes, usually Matthews has good prices on new items they are very competive

https://www.matthewsmuziek.nl/nl/saxofoon/sopraansaxofoon.html

Secondhand is only marginally cheaper https://www.matthewsmuziek.nl/nl/yanagisawa-soprano-sax-149212.html

But I am sure that if you look around Italy, Germany, Austria, France... you should be able to find more and taking a personal trip to any place (or the NL) shouldn’t be beyond the scope of week end on holiday somewhere.
If you come here I’ll be glad to show you around.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
At adams-music.com there is a "contact us for price and availability" for a s981
but I don't know if they really could have one...

Milandro, how's that store?

·
39,467 Posts
Very big and very expensive (usually) but sometimes they have been known to have some left over at a good price.

It is easily the largest musical shop (they have a huge percussiuon and brass instrument factory) in the country but generally they are considered to have a bit of impersonal sales.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,299 Posts
redrubin: Yes, I think you are wrong to assume that Asian sopranos are on the sweeter side. I'll bet that anyone who makes such a claim hasn't tested enough sopranos with enough variables (like mouthpieces and reeds, room-acoustics, and all the other factors) to objectively reach such a conclusion. Each soprano stands on its own, I believe.

Two of the best sopranos I've ever played are ones that I now own, thanks to a gift from a known jazzer's estate - a 1959 MKVI and a '27 Conn NWII. Side-by-side, the MKVI is a bit darker than the Conn, but that probably wouldn't be the case with another duo of the same models. And one reed change, could affect the results.

I urge you NOT to buy into the brands/regions myths that abound. Much of a horn's playing characteristics come from the way the pads seal. After all, they all just conical tubes influenced by extraneous factors.

As far as an S981 goes, I think the one you are asking about is over-priced, although I have no real idea about prices in Switzerland. I sure wouldnt pay that much for an older-model Yanagisawa, even though I like Yanagisawas (and own two). Good luck. DAVE

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I haven't tried many I see the new Yani base model WO1 is just a few bucks more than the S981 I originally posted about. I know MP and reed as well as learning how to put air through it has most to do with sound. Not to mention the sound you have in your own head.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts