Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is 1500 bucks for a sop in good condition good lacquer a fair price? I havent played yet. Another option is a Ponzol Keilwerth sop for $2200 . Just looking for opinions . I haven't played a sop for a while and not much experience with them. Mostly Tenor with some alto. Thanks in advance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,781 Posts
The Elimona is at its fair market price, Ponzol Keiwerth is rare (as Ponzol) and a great saxophone (if you look for that particular Keilwerth vibe) but I think not worth that much.

·
38,781 Posts
let me reword it : “ if you prefer the sound of a Keliwerth over the one of a Yanagisawa”. Also the keywork is rather different .

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Without much experience on soprano all I can say is I prefer a darker heavy sound on sop. I have an sx90r and pre war 10m also tranny 6m so getting used to ergo not an issue. Large hands. Do not like the sweet sounding sop sounds. Mouthpiece probably made me like the kw tenor and I know sop MPs are a mystery.

·
38,781 Posts
Then probably playing the two next to one another you would prefer the Keilwerth.

I have just sold a Keilwerth Toneking IV for just less than €1000 and I sold one before to another member here, they are out there and are not very expensive. Good Luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,535 Posts
the S900 and the Elimona are two different models.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Elimona s880 i think was the name of my soprano I sold sometime ago. The tone was great but it had some intonation issues that maybe was because of the key height? I sold it for 1900usd.

I will never buy anything with the name Ponzol on it again. I had the Peter Ponzol Keilwerth tenor and the tone was so thin! I tried the pro one tenors and the tone was a bit bland. The Ponzol plastic reeds sounds like duck! I am negative I know but my experience with his products haven’t convinced me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts