Sax on the Web Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for all input. I was really looking to see how similar the 4CM is to the S80, since the s80 is a known quantity for me, and that seems to have been answered. I am mostly looking for something that's not a stock 'piece even though she's a beginner. She's played my S80 a good bit and sounds fine, and she likes it better (and sounds better) than any of the half dozen stockers I have available.

I'm a high-school and middle-school band director in addition to my own playing, so I've had experiences with beginners that run the whole gamut. Obviously in a few years assuming she sticks with it, she and I can explore other options. I'm willing to spend $75 or so to get her going since I don't need to invest in a horn (I only have 5 or 6 altos around here after all ;) ) but I'm not up for spending $150 on a Rousseau or $180 on a Selmer... for now.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
15 Posts
As a lifelong sax player and taught regularly when I was in college. when both of my kids started in six grade I started them out with a 4C. Biggest reason is starting out they tend to not be not very careful things get dropped, dinged, kicked, scratched… For both of the kids I upgraded them After they had been playing long enough (about six months). At that point a better started to make a difference And they had gotten more comfortable with proper handling and cleaning up their instrument.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts