Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,409 Posts
Series I additionally has low Eb/C cluster supported by two posts as opposed to series II where a single post supports both keys. Also series I still has serial number stamped on the rear of the bell.

Have seen acid bleed on MKVI, MKVII, SA80 series I, II, III, and Ref horns. Never heard that production was better on the series II in this or any other regard.

·
4,409 Posts
I forgot to mention above that it obviously depends on what year series II you compare with. The series II is the biggest selling saxophone of all time and has undergone additional changes over the year. Body-to-bow and bow-to-bell joints have changed, engraving diminished, the arch holding the left pinky cluster and the attachments of the arch to the body have been altered. Now they are back to where they started but for a short while the arch was in one piece (no solders for the pivot screw heads) and attached to the body by screws on both sides. I am failing in providing a good description but hopefully you get the idea. Surely there have been other changes that I am missing.

·
4,409 Posts
The engraving under the bell lip is gone from both tenor and alto. From alto, the bow engraving is gone as well. It doesn't just apply to Series II but III and Ref36 as well. Not sure about the Ref54 alto but I am positive that it does not have engraving on the bow either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts