Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know. But does anyone have any information on this unfortunately branded horn, currently on goodwill.com? Failing that, clever quips are always welcome.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,888 Posts
From the font this should be an Italian made horn , I suppose we would never know with only one picture showing only the engraved trade mark.

I’ve tried to look it up on goodwill but the site seems to not be reachable at the moment

Home; Musical Instruments; Woodwinds; Vintage S&M Artist Saxophone with ... Handling Price:$4.00; Seller: Goodwill Industries Serving Eastern Nebraska ...

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/52733754

·
Registered
72 Posts
That left hand pinky table looks pretty distinctive. If it's a stencil that might be a clue for someone who knows more than me.

·
38,888 Posts
sorry where do you see that?

I’ve tried several times to get onto the goodwill site but apparently this is blocked somehow from my browser or in my geographic area.

Both Firefox and Safari tell me that the safety protocols of this site aren’t set correctly and therefore they block loading of the pages.

:Rant:

·
Registered
72 Posts
sorry where do you see that?
It is, indeed, one of the photos from the listing.

The link works fine for me (in USA), maybe some kind of geographic issue is interfering with your access?

EDIT: Sorry, it's late night here. Didn't realize you already proposed the geographic issue. (Too sleepy to read well) :)

·
38,888 Posts
As described both browsers return a message that the certificate for this site is unsafe.

Why that is I don’t know.

Anyway this type of left hand pinky plateau was used, mostly, by bohemian saxophones (and some Dutch ones too, Schenkelaars) but occasionally also by Alfonso Rampone.

·
38,888 Posts
well, Schenkelaars I agree but those of this design have a clear stamp “ Made in Holland” which has always been a puzzle if it meant that they were assembled in the Netherlands or really made in Holland.

Schenkelaars has has a long history of buying stencils (not stamped made in Holland though) from many companies ( Keilwerth, Orsi, Rampone e Cazzani, Arta Guban) and their horns which did have the “ made in Holland” stamp (which looked like this one in the pictures) were sharing some similarities with Dörfler & Jörka.

I’d say that this is a Schenkelaars, as much a Schenkelaars could be a Schenkelaars ( which could be assembled in the NL from German , Dörfler & Jörka, parts)
This is a Schenkelaars stencil marked Concord.

The B abd Bb guards are, to me, the most significant typical Schenkelaars feature.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool collective detective work, thanks everyone for your help!

SML was exporting to the Netherlands but their main buyer was Ansingh in Zwolle which sold their instruments with both stamps SML and theirs.
I wonder if this particular engraving, which rings prurient today, was originally designed to lure players familiar with Dutch SML's?

·
Registered
697 Posts
looking at the pics on goodwill site, the horn has rth, which i'm not sure is obvious looking at the pics on here.

·
38,888 Posts
Cool collective detective work, thanks everyone for your help!

I wonder if this particular engraving, which rings prurient today, was originally designed to lure players familiar with Dutch SML's?

No, too different and the Ansingh SML were almost all Silver or Nickel plate.

Yes, the Schekelaars of this tipe has rolled toneholes, BUTI have to say that the rolling is very thin and small and often not well made.

I am not a fan of these Schenkelaars.

I like the Toneking sold by them (I have bought many) and I also like the Orsi-Schenkelaars (and the Occasional Rampone & Cazzani )

I loathe the Schenkelaars made (probably) by Arta Guban.

S

·
0 Posts
When I lived in NYC I saw quite a few S +M artists around and some were quite expensive.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Zoot, you should but this.

Perfect for the gigs at Lydian Dominant

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another one for the hypothetical jazz club name thread, TodPlays!

·
38,888 Posts
I suppose that in this case the use of an harness will be mandatory (actually this IS also usable for a saxophone!), it might save your back.
:twisted:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts