Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering the purchase of a Yani soprano but since I have played on an Antigua for 11 years I rather like the ergos. The S-900 is the horn that Antigua used to model their older models from and would like to stay with familiar.

Has anybody played the 800 Elimona or 900? I am curious as whether or not there is a large difference between Antigua and the 880 or 900.

Just trying to justify $1500 or more when I decide.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
I’m not 100% sure but the S-800 has VI style Palm Keys. The 880 is a dual neck with modern palm keys and the 900 was a one piece modern palm keys. The S-880 from what I understand is the one to get. I play an S-900 which I really like.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I think, the S-880 Elimona has "narrow" palm keys like the mark 6, but two necks and a front f (which the s-800 hasn't).
Here's a detailed review:
http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Sop/yanagisawa_s880.htm

I have the S-800 and it's a great instrument in every aspect. A front f would be helpful from time to time, but you can fake it.
If the two instruments are in a comparable state and the s-900 is 1500 Dollars more, I'd go with the S-880

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I just hate in-line keys and removeable neck soprano's so I will wait for a 900 to surface.

·
Registered
581 Posts
S880 keywork is just like any modern sop, not in line palm key of mark VI. I've tested both S880 and S990 (900 with detachable neck on the same day at Ishimori shop), and the S990 is noticeably warmer a little to my ear, other than that, it would be very similar in playability.

·
Registered
581 Posts
And I think 1500 is a very good price. I paid mine for a higher price though mine is silver plated with customized gold plated neck.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I had an Antigua, then had a chance to buy a 2nd hand S-880. While they were similar, the Yanagisawa is more precisely made and had the richer sound. By comparison the Antigua felt a bit "spongy" in the keywork and a somewhat brighter tone, which became more apparent on the higher notes. But not a huge difference. Maybe a 10% improvement.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,536 Posts
I have an s-900 and it is a fantastic instrument. When I got it, I didn't have to think twice about getting rid of my Mark Vl. It is the absolute last soprano I will ever buy... except one day when I find a deal on a Yani 901 survey Sop.

I also had a Taiwanese pro soprano, but the Yani is vastly superior... in a completly different league.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have an s-900 and it is a fantastic instrument. When I got it, I didn't have to think twice about getting rid of my Mark Vl. It is the absolute last soprano I will ever buy... except one day when I find a deal on a Yani 901 survey Sop.

I also had a Taiwanese pro soprano, but the Yani is vastly superior... in a completly different league.
I recently played a brand new Yani soprano at a local shop and was so taken aback by how easy it was to play in tune and how mellow the tone was. Still looking.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It sounds like you're still looking. One thing I would consider is that the modern necks don't work with the S-880 and S-990.

Because of that, you might want to consider a single-body.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have been playing for many years on S880 it is a great soprano sax and one Elimona S990 It has a purer crystalline sound but without the warmth of one S880

1 - 15 of 15 Posts