·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, here's my current setup:
Yamaha YAS-62 alto- s-80 c*
Selmer Paris SA-80II tenor-s-80 c*
Yamaha YBS-52 bari- s-80 c*

The alto and bari are both fine for me with the s-80 mp's. I play bari in a college wind symphony, and the classical tone is perfect. And the alto is versatile enough that I can go from my rare wind symphony playing to Ska, jazz, and back again. They've been good all around mouthpieces for me, and I've got no reason to switch.

The tenor though...I have problems keeping a consistent tone. It's either too bright or harsh, or i 'gurrgle' on the lower notes, or just pinch my tone/air off all together. Partly, I've never been happy with the Paris tenor, but I was poor and the price was right. I'm still poor as any other student with a few nice horns, and I also can't afford to donate all of my time to working jsut on a good tenor tone, even though I know that would be idle. Selling/replacing the horn is out of the question right now, and so is a new neck or anything else like that.

I've also heard bad things about using a 'set' of s-80's, so I have a feeling that a new mouthpiece may be a good bet.

Any suggestions to help with my tone mouthpiece wise? I've played on a Meyer 5, and it was better, but what other good options are there?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
The S-80 C* is a poor facing because it's not in proportion with the other mouthpieces. If you want to use an S-80 on tenor, you'll need a D or E. I'd suggest trying something with a round chamber with a wider tip opening...a Vandoren V5 series, Optimum TL4, or Morgan 3C.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,035 Posts
That's right. A C* for tenor is like having a rag in the horn. The closest facing I sell for Tenor in the S-80 is an F which is a great legit mouthpiece. You may want to try an Otto Link HR in about a 5*, a Morgan or an older Brilhart. The Morgan Protone which only comes in a .085 is a nice classical mouthpiec that sells for around $40.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
The Selmer soloist is a great mouthpiece for tenor. I use a c** but really should of went w/ a D or E.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
For a nice classical tone on the darker side try an Otto Link 5* in hard rubber. If you want to stick with the French classical sound then I agree that a Soloist D or E would be more appropriate.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! This gives me a lto to think about now, especially with the D and E facing Selmer, since it is what I'm used to.

I'm probably gonna head to WWBW soon for a try out day, since it's only an hour drive from here (SW Michigan). Try out the S-80's, the Runyon, the Larson, and The Vandoren that a friend recomended today.

More suggestions would still be great though, and I'ms ure there are others out there wondering, too

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
saxandstrings86 said:
Thanks guys! This gives me a lto to think about now, especially with the D and E facing Selmer, since it is what I'm used to.

I'm probably gonna head to WWBW soon for a try out day, since it's only an hour drive from here (SW Michigan). Try out the S-80's, the Runyon, the Larson, and The Vandoren that a friend recomended today.

More suggestions would still be great though, and I'ms ure there are others out there wondering, too

The Larson is a jazz mouthpiece and the Runyon probably is too, but I would reccomend the previously mentioned mouthpieces.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts