Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I don't use this site often but I really need help now. All through high school I had planned to study jazz saxophone and performance in college, and I had done that for a little while, but a lot of draining factors took me away from the saxophone and jazz and I realized I was starting to hate what they were in my life. Don't worry, I haven't dropped music, I just study production now instead of performing. But here's where I need help, I need to get rid of my bari sax and I have no idea how to price it or what to do with it. The saxophone is a Ryton Pro-Ls-I Baritone saxophone, it currently has a dent on the bell that was repaired, and has a leak that can also be repaired. To be honest, the saxophone insnt the best pro saxophone, but more a good sax for developing musicians, has a good sound though. I have no idea how to price this because the guy I bought this from completely ripped me off and sold it to me for way more than I ever should have bought it for, so help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I'm not familiar with that brand, so am not sure how it would be valued, but if you search completed E-bay listings, you may be able to find what horns similar to yours have sold for in the past. A repaired dent will likely require a further discount. Another strategy would be to find out what this model sells for new and then price yours ~50% of the retail price for a new one.

I'm sorry to hear that you overpaid for it. Many of us have done that at least once with a musical instrument and some of us have done it more than once! :whistle:

Best advice I can give you is to accept that you will probably take a loss on the sale, but at least you got some use out of the instrument. (You can think of whatever money you don't recoup as a rental fee.) If you sell locally using Craigslist and specify that you will only accept cash, you won't have to pay any listing fee to sell it, PayPal won't get a cut of the money you make, and you won't have to deal with shipping. This would allow you to keep the entire proceeds from the sale.

One thing in your favor is that baris are very expensive, so a lot of people who want to take up that horn are looking for something affordable. If your horn is in decent playing shape and you don't price it too high, you will probably generate some interest. Good luck!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ryton is made in China by Taishan Winds. It’s basically the same as their other export baritones that sell new on eBay for @1500.
I don’t know where you are, or what the market is like. You’ll likely have to price it pretty low to move it.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Combine the two preceding posts and you get $750. One could set the asking price a little higher ($800?) to anticipate some price negotiation.

Note, I searched a little and it looks like member @saxcop here also has owned a Ryton bari. Maybe an interesting reference. You could contact him by PM for example, to ask for how much he bought (and possibly sold) his.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
Yes I have a Ryton bari. This is the same thing as a Taishan. I believe mine and your are older models and they have probably improved since then. I think that its worth around $1000 if in good condition. Also affecting this could be the case. Bari cases are expensive and if you have an upgraded case that could make a difference. I had a pro bari player play mine just a week ago and he was fairly impressed with the sound. He had problems with altissimo. It was also my first time hearing the horn from some other player and I thought it sounded great. Yes not a Yamaha or Yani, but pretty decent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts