Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I enjoy the creative tenor sax solos of Russ Klein on the Lawrence Welk Show. He and Bob Havens (trombone) were two of the best improvisers in the band. Is anyone else a fan of Russ Klein?

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Having just watched the Lawrence Welk "Big Band Spash", hosted by Doc Severinson.....yeah, I most certainly do remember Russ Klein! That band was full of great players. I can only imagine how hard it must have been for them to have to play (and back-up) some of the other "acts" on that show! Yikes!
Was also great to see the legendary Skeets Hurfurt on lead alto. Any idea who the other guy was who played lead alto? Younger (about 35-ish) guy with glasses. Can't figure out who he was/is.
Any idea what ever happened to Russ?

John

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was also great to see the legendary Skeets Hurfurt on lead alto.
Yes, Skeets is a great player. I believe LW referred to him as "the greatest saxophone player in the world."

Any idea who the other guy was who played lead alto? Younger (about 35-ish) guy with glasses. Can't figure out who he was/is.
That's Dave Edwards, an outstanding player as well.

Any idea what ever happened to Russ?
Russ passed on about 15 years ago.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Yes, Skeets is a great player. I believe LW referred to him as "the greatest saxophone player in the world."

That's Dave Edwards, an outstanding player as well.

Russ passed on about 15 years ago.
Sadly, after doing an online search for Dave Edwards, I see he too died back in 2000. Had a great, classic lead alto sound for sure. Not too many of those guys are with us anymore.....

Thanks for the info!
John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts